wrong || warden x montagne

Warden checked his expensive, high-tech watch. Late, he mused. I wouldn't be surprised if he got caught up in training. Warden knew he was right. He was always right. So when his boyfriend came in, his typically calm and collected expression completely masked by regret and pain, Warden was taken aback. Was he wrong? No, he couldn't be. Remembering Montagne, he pushed his thoughts to the side. He could deal with that later. Right now, he needed to figure out what got his lover in such a tipsy.

"Gilles? What happened?" The french man looked away, unused to being so vulnerable. After some examination, Warden noticed the bruise—it was a dark blemish visible on the side of his face. Warden stood, approaching him carefully.

"Got into a fight," he finally answered with slight hesitation. This surprised Warden unlike anything he's ever been surprised about before. Montagne always kept his cool; he never got into fights. He could see Warden's expression, and he immediately became disappointed in himself. So, when Warden reached for him, he shrunk back. Warden pulled away.

"With who?" Warden assumed he would say Oryx.

"Rook." Warden furrowed his eyebrows. Can this day get anymore unpredictable? Rook was the other least likely one to get into a physical fight besides Montagne.

"About what?" Warden didn't want to push, but he needed to know what caused this. His confusion was immeasurable; he didn't like being confused. He also didn't like being wrong.

"Protection. I told him that his plates weren't very helpful at stopping bullets. I was just trying to suggest that he should find a way to improve them. It didn't go well." When Warden heard him sniff, everything fell apart. On instinct, he embraced the man, suprising both himself and the one he had his arms wrapped tightly around. "I made him cry," he choked out. "I hurt him. When I tried to apologize, he punched me. I didn't—I didn't mean to-..I yelled at him..."

Warden knew he wasn't good at comforting people, but at this point, his boyfriend was the only thing that mattered. He had to try. "It wasn't your fault, Gilles. I know you didn't mean to hurt him. You're going to be fine."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm always sure. Just give him some time and apologize, and you two will be right back to how you were before."

"Okay.." Montagne pauses before murmuring. "I trust you."

"I know."

And Warden was right.