dog || melusi x alibi

Melusi ran her fingers through the mangled fur of the injured dog she was crouched beside, a frown etched onto her features. She looked up and turned her head, calling back: "Aria! Come look!" Alibi looked up from her crime novel, spotting the African woman on the ground. The whimpering caught her ears, and she raised her eyebrows before strolling over after bookmarking the page she left off on. "There are bite marks on her shoulder and upper back. She's losing blood..." Alibi's eyes ran over the sight, and she hummed. "I have a medical kit in the trunk of the car, and I don't want to leave her alone. Do you think you could go grab it for me?" It took one look at Melusi's worried yet empathetic expression for Alibi to make up her mind, and with a swift nod of compliance, she spun around and began jogging to get to the parked car a couple hundred meters away.

Alibi wasn't too surprised about this entire fiasco. It was their day off, and they wanted to spend it together at the park in nature and away from everyone else, but of course, Melusi, sweet and caring Melusi, came across a hurt, abandoned dog. Alibi smiled to herself. That's what she loved about her—her sympathy towards animals was unmatched by anything she'd ever seen before. It was nothing like Alibi's own straightfoward and somewhat hidden nature. So, for the two to be friends was extraordinary and yet not at all at the same time. Melusi brought light into Alibi's life, and she was glad she gave the bright woman a chance. Now, she could never spend a break from training and missions the same—it had to be with Melusi.

Alibi reached the car and popped open the trunk after unlocking it, quickly locating what she came for and grabbing it. She closed and relocked it before heading back to where Melusi and the dog were waiting, her eyes softening immediately upon sight of her friend. "I'm back," she called to grab her attention before approaching her and holding out the kit to which Melusi promptly took.

"Thanks." Melusi presented Alibi with a grateful smile that made her eyes shine, and by god, Alibi would've melted right then and there if it weren't for her strong poker face and years as an undercover cop.

After a few minutes of watching, she decided to sit down on the curb nearby and continue reading her book, but every now and then, she peeked up to see how it was coming; however, it was definitely not to sneak glances at the one tending to the wounded animal. When Alibi would catch herself staring too long, she cleared her throat and instantly averted her gaze, but she could never focus back on reading—not anymore at least.

Was she in love? Yes. Did Melusi need to know? No; not yet, at least.

"Alright," Melusi chirped, startling Alibi out of yet another gawking session.

"Huh?" Melusi laughed at her disorientation.

"I've patched her up for the most part. I did the best I could with these suppies, but I think we'll need to take her to a vet as soon as we can. They can also check to see if she has a chip since she has no collar. I wouldn't be suprised if she doesn't, though. She looks abandoned." Melusi furrowed her eyebrows in frustration. "What kind of monster would let this happen to such a precious baby?" She scratched behind the dog's ear.

"What will you do if she doesn't have an owner?"

"I...didn't think of that. I would hate to send her to a shelter because that's just cruel. Do you know anyone who might want a dog?" She lifted her eyes up to meet Alibi's who was staring back in amusement. "What?"

"I think I might know just the person," she mused. Alibi typically wouldn't condone the ownership of a pet while working at such a place as Rainbow, but...the thought of how Melusi would look when she told her she would help her convince everyone to let her keep the dog was enough to persuade her.

"Perfect!"

The rest of the day was spent with the two going to the vet, waiting for the dog to get patched up, then filing into the car. Melusi sat in the back with the dog that seemingly grew quite attatched to her in the period of time they spent together while Alibi drove.

"So," Melusi started. "Who's the candidate?"

"For the dog?"

"Mhm."

"You."

Everything went quiet, and Alibi glanced up at the mirror to witness Melusi's reaction in the backseat. She smirked slightly when she saw Melusi's speechless look.

"But," she whispered breathlessly. "I can't—"

"It'd be a lot of work," Alibi cut her off, "but look at her, Than. She loves you."

"Would they even let me...?"

"We can convince them."

"We?"

"I'd be helping, of course. It doesn't take much to sway Harry."

"Aria...you're the best."

Those words stuck with Alibi, replaying in her head for days after. Even after convincing anyone that needed to be—it's not that it was necessarily required to ask as Melusi
had her own apartment—and setting up and buying everything for the dog, Alibi continued to think about it. And eventually, just as had happened with Melusi, she became attached to the dog—later named Honey—and it made her realize something important. Everything to do with Melusi she wanted to be a part of, whether it be training, sitting in the same room in comfortable silence, or simply helping out with the ownership of a dog. Alibi wanted to be a part of Melusi's life, just like she wanted Melusi to be a part of her own.