xviii. the pact

Jungkook fell onto the sofa in his hotel room, a long exhale leaving his body. He was exhausted from the day's events and just wanted to fall asleep even though it was only 4pm Korea time. He did end up unintentionally napping right there and when he awoke again, it was dark and from his window, he could see the whole city already lit up. He glanced at his phone and saw that it was now 7:30pm. He hadn't received a call from his manager or Bang PD yet, so he was assuming that the meeting between BigHit and YG's lawyers and Dispatch hadn't concluded yet.
To be extra sure, he scoured the net for a while, feeling relieved seeing no dating news related to him or Lisa released in the last few hours.
To kill some time, he ordered room service and switched on the TV, although it was more for background noise, as he couldn't keep his mind focused enough to really concentrate.
He had finished his meal of steak and fries when his phone rang. It was Bang PD. He didn't hesitate to pick up the phone immediately.
"Hello?" His voice sounded small and uncertain in his ears. He muted the TV so he could hear Bang PD clearly. His Sajangnim didn't make small talk and got right to the point, sharing the outcome of the meeting. The conversation was short and when Jungkook finally heard the conclusion, his fingers almost lost their grip on his mobile. He took a shaky inhale, before quietly thanking his Sajangnim and hanging up the phone. It fell from limp fingers, hitting the soft rug beneath his feet.
Jungkook sat with his head in his hands for a couple of minutes, taking in the news. He could barely believe it. Buzzing from his phone snapped him out of it. He picked up his fallen mobile again and answered the phone.
"Lisa," he sighed out, his tone conveying everything he was feeling in the moment.
"You've been told the news too then, right?" she answered with her sweet voice.
He hummed in confirmation.
"...I can't believe it..."
"Me neither."
"But I'm really glad."
"Me too."
"Really? You sound... weird."
Jungkook shook his head even though she wouldn't be able to see it. "I'm just in shock. I can't believe that they managed to convince Dispatch to not print the photos."
"I heard it's mostly thanks to BigHit's contract with them that sealed the deal. So pass on my thanks to your Sajangnim."
"I will," he smiled.
They were silent for a moment but he could tell that Lisa still wanted to say something.
"What's wrong, Lili?"
She sighed over the phone and he could imagine her biting her lip in nervousness. "It's just... It's nothing, I'm just being silly."
He frowned and was going to push her again, but she abruptly changed the subject.
"So now that that's cleared up, when are you returning to your tour?"
"Tomorrow morning... Sorry, I don't think I'll be able to see you again before."
She assured him it was fine, that his group and his fans needed him, and her cheerful tone almost convincing him that she wasn't disappointed.
"It's fine, just text me when you're about to leave and when you land so I know you're safe."
"Of course... I should get to sleep now though, I have to leave for the airport at 4am."
She bid him goodbye simply and they hung up the phone. He was left feeling strangely empty without her voice filling up the silence of the hotel room. And although he was beyond relieved that Dispatch wasn't going to release the photos, he still didn't feel completely at ease for some reason. His conversation with Lisa confirmed his feelings, that something was now tainting their relationship, and maybe had been for a while now, before even this Dispatch incident took place.

-&-

After last week's ordeal of learning that Dispatch wouldn't expose her and Jungkook's relationship to the public, Lisa had just received a call from her Sajangnim. She was currently at the dorms, not wanting to be alone tonight, just like all the nights for the past week.
"No harm done, just make sure the two of you are careful."
"Yes, thank you, Sajangnim."
She hung up the phone with the YG president and buried her face in her hands, sitting fetal style upon the couch. Her Sajangnim had called her to assure her that the couple could remain as a couple as long as they took extra care to not be discovered. However, Lisa couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't right and speaking with Jungkook the other week only confirmed those feelings. When she should have been feeling relieved and glad that her relationship didn't get exposed, it just reminded her that they were walking a dangerous path by being with each other. And it was ridiculous in the first place that they had to go to such lengths to date.
BTS would be coming back to Seoul from their tour in a week's time and would immediately be handed Korea's Order of Cultural Merit before jetting off shortly after for the Japanese leg of their tour.
In short, they again wouldn't have much time to see each other and their virtual messages had whittled down to the barest essential communication.
"Is everything alright, Lisa?" Rosé asked, noticing the maknae in fetal position on the couch. She came over to her and rested one hand gently on Lisa's shoulder.
"I don't know, Chae," she said, her voice muffled into her knees.
"Is it you and Jungkook?"
She nodded minutely but Rosé understood and sat down beside her on the end of the couch. "Want a cracker?" she offered.
Lisa reached her hand out without lifting her head up and blindly reached for the bag. She crunched on the snack mindlessly, lost in her own thoughts.
"What are you thinking? You know it's always better to talk out loud about these things."
Rosé wasn't sure whether Lisa was going to confide or not, until Lisa lifted her head slowly after a few minutes. Her eyes had turned a little puffy and bloodshot - she had evidently been silently crying - and Rosé suddenly realised the severity of Lisa's state. She immediately went in to wrap her arms around Lisa and rub her back.
"Oh, you silly girl, why are you crying?"
Lisa often cried, but at movies and TV shows - rarely at real-life situations. Most of the time, the girls even found it hard to read what was truly going on with Lisa, as she always put on a happy front. She was their happiness vitamin, but sometimes Lisa took the role too far in Chaeyoung's opinion.
The embrace from Rosé only made Lisa cry more. The small sobs shook her body and it took a few moments to dry the tears and regain control of her own voice.
"I don't think me and Jungkook... I don't think we're going to last much longer."
"What!?" Rosé said in shock. She had never known a sweeter couple before. "But you're not going to be exposed! You can carry on your relationship without the public knowing! And Sajangnim doesn't mind you dating!"