xxiv. a leap of faith

Jimin and Jungkook had made it back to their seats. Jimin took his seat next to Namjoon again and noticing that the Blackpink girls were also back in their seats behind them, he leaned into his hyung's ear to inform him of what had gone on behind the scenes.
"It was as you thought - Jungkook went to run after Lisa," at the mention of her whispered name, Jimin slyly looked up to make sure the said girl's attention was focused elsewhere. Luckily, her eyes were on the stage and it didn't seem like she was trying to eavesdrop on his conversation.
Namjoon's face looked serious as Jimin was telling him this news. His jaw tensed involuntarily, but be kept his eyes forward until he said behind his hand, "What happened?"
"He got stopped by one of their managers before he could reach her. He's pretty bummed he couldn't talk to her and he was warned to stay away."
Namjoon's serious expression didn't lessen but he nodded his head. "Thanks for going after him."
"Guess it was my turn anyway," Jimin grinned back.

-&-

Lisa didn't feel like enjoying the show after Jungkook's abrupt appearance, calling out her name like they were in a cheesy k-drama. She had been ushered away from the scene quickly, but that hadn't stopped her from attempting to see what her manager was going to do with him. She had tried to crane her neck and see around the other staff, but it was to no avail. Now she was sitting through the rest of the evening, worried about him. It must have been serious if he was seeking her out in somewhere so public, and so her annoyance at him had been put to the side.
When the show was over, she resolved to make an unwise choice herself. As all the idols were leaving from the basement car park, she waited around a secluded corner until a familiar figure came into view, exiting the building and heading straight for his company's black van.
"Jungkook!" she whispered harshly, only peeking out her head to make sure she wasn't caught. "Jeon Jungkook!"
The second whisper got his attention, and he whipped this way and that trying to locate the source.
"To your left," she helped, waving her hand inconspicuously so he could spot her. Before running over to her position, he made up an excuse to distract his manager.
"Lisa! What are you doing?!"
He came to stand close to her in her dark, secret corner, hovering over her, seeming much taller than he actually was.
"I could ask you the same thing, you. absolute. fool." She punctuated her sentence with three rather hard slaps to his arm.
"Ow, ow!" He cowered under each one of them, rubbing the sore spot once she was done.
"What were you thinking, chasing me and calling my name in a public area?!"
She tried to keep her voice level and the volume low, lest someone hear her but her frustrations were growing and growing.
Jungkook looked startled at her urgency but it soon softened into an apologetic look. "I just wanted to talk. You weren't responding to my calls and texts."
"You idiot! It couldn't have waited until my managers weren't there?"
"I didn't know if I would get another chance. Your manager seems really strict by the way."
She rolled her eyes at his light tone but a flash of concern passed over her face before being disguised again under a serious facade. "What did he say? Did he... hurt you?"
"Is that... worry that I sense," Jungkook teased, lifting Lisa's chin up with two fingers in a light grip. She stubbornly jerked out of his hold.
"No, of course it isn't worry, it's actually me hoping that he at least punched you or something," she fibbed.
He chuckled, not believing her cruel words. "Ah, you'll be disappointed to know he didn't punch me. As if he could even lay a finger on me."
She sighed out in relief, but when noticing that he would interpret it to suit himself she quickly disguised it under a cough. She belatedly remembered that she was supposed to be annoyed at him for accusing her of cheating with Kim Hanbin.
"So, what did you want to talk to me about so urgently?" she said shortly, her arms crossing over her chest, attempting to close herself off again.
Jungkook on the other hand opened himself up. "Look, Lisa, I wanted to apologise for thinking that there was something going on between you and another guy."
He took a cautious step closer when she made no reply. He took it as a good sign when she didn't take a step back to avoid him.
"I was a jerk to have accused you like that. I know you wouldn't do that."
Lisa was slow to respond, taking her time to inspect his demeanor and his expression, ensuring they were genuine. It was his eyes that told her the most, and she eventually uncrossed her arms. "You're forgiven, you idiot." Her voice was soft despite the insult.
He grinned at her, his cheeks dimpling.
"I actually have something for you..." Jungkook reached into his inner jacket pocket, hunting around for the loose trinkets that he had stored there.
"Ah, here they are," he said, presenting two rings to her - one was a thick, solid band and the other was a thinner band with diamonds set all around it.
Lisa looked shocked and accepted the rings with hesitant hands. "Wh-what is this?"
A small flush of embarrassment reddened Jungkook's face. "They're couple rings. I have a set too." He showed her a matching set of rings on the forefinger of his right hand.
Lisa bit her lip nervously and she quickly averted her eyes to the ground. "Jungkook..."
The slow, serious delivery of his name made him scramble for a better explanation. "It's not like-"
"I mean, it's still not good timing. Jennie and her relationship with Kai was just exposed, you know?" Lisa quickly explained, thinking it would soothe his embarrassment. She was about to reluctantly hand the rings back over to him, but he gently folded her fingers back over them.
Shaking his head, he explained properly. "The rings aren't to say we're getting back together right now. Just a symbol, or something, that we're waiting for each other... It's kind of corny, I know... If you don't like them, I can-"
"No, I like them!" she quickly said, stopping his rambling before he mistook her again. "I really like them." She slipped the rings onto her finger and admired them. "Thank you..."
A comfortable silence settled on them, Lisa smiling goofily at her new couple rings and Jungkook in turn smiling down at her reaction.
"Even though we still can't be together right now, I think it would be fine to maybe continue talking... Just as friends for now... You know, to prevent any other misunderstandings," she suggested with a quirk of her eyebrow, referring to the events that had led up to Jungkook accusing her of basically cheating on him.
He jumped on the chance and nodded his head enthusiastically. "Yeah that sounds good!"
Smiling, she removed the hand she had forgotten was embraced with his.
"Good. I've got to go now. Talk to you later, Jungkookie."
She sneaked back inside the building without anyone noticing, while Jungkook headed back into the car, a slight bounce returning to his steps.