xiii.

"Louis." Harry gasped aloud unintentionally, his heart pounding against his ribs.

Louis turned towards him.
Harry barely registered that Louis dropped the book he was holding, the loud thump against the floor faded into the background. The only sound he could hear was his own heart beating in his ears as he watched Louis.
Louis' eyes widened, his lips parted in a mixture of awe and shock. Neither of them moved for a moment, and then Louis was moving towards him.
Harry held his arms out in time for Louis to crash into him. Louis' arms wrapped tightly around his waist, and Harry felt so warm, almost shaky with disbelief that Louis was finally here. Harry held Louis tight, he rested his cheek against Louis' hair and barely heard his whisper.

"Harry."

They pulled back after a minute and looked at each other.

Harry's mouth turned up into a shaky smile as Louis' lip trembled. "Hi Louis."

"Hi." Louis whispered, still looking at Harry's face, as if he was dreaming and needed to memorize his features before he woke up. "You're here."

"I'm here."

Louis hiccuped a wet laugh. "I can't believe you're here."

Harry tilted his head and gave a half-hearted shrug. "I wanted to see you."
He rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "Hope that's alright."

"It's--" Louis took a deep breath and bit his bottom lip. "It's great."

"It's really good to see you." Harry's cheeks burned, he wanted to say so much more.

"You too." Louis played with the hem of his jacket sleeve.

Harry scuffed his shoe nervously along the floor.

"Harry?"

"Yeah?" He looked at Louis with hopeful eyes.

"Do you want to come back to mine? I can make us tea there.... and we can catch up properly."

"Please." Harry rushed out. "I mean, yes. Please. That sounds lovely."

Louis' cheeks turned a rosy shade as Harry grabbed his bag off the table and moved towards the door. He leaned down and picked up the book Louis had dropped, and held it out to him.

"Thanks." Louis laughed softly and held the door open.

They stepped out into the afternoon sun, and Harry followed as Louis started in the direction of his flat. They walked in a comfortable silence, leaving half a metre between their bodies as they walked, elbows brushing together occasionally. They walked the eight blocks back to Louis' flat, and took the stairs up to his floor.
Louis' fingers fumbled nervously with the key when they reached his door, but the lock clicked, and he pushed the door open. They both stepped inside, and Louis pulled the door shut behind them.
His flat was neat and simple, warm light coming in from the living room windows, and the only mess was a few small piles of papers and pens stacked on his desk and coffee table. Harry set his bag down by the front door and followed Louis into the flat.

"Tea?" Louis asked nervously, looking back at Harry as he walked towards the kitchen.

"Sure. Thank you."

Louis smiled softly when Harry followed him into the kitchen. He pulled two mugs from the cabinet and set them on the counter before filling the kettle. He tapped his fingers against the counter top as the water came to a boil. Neither had spoken, but Harry watched as Louis poured the boiling water into their cups with slightly shaky hands.
He moved a bit closer and nudged the mugs back from the edge of the counter. Louis felt his chest tighten as Harry turned to face him.