xxxii.

May

Harry and Louis had both been busy the last few months. Camden had had a spring rush of new author applications, and Harry hadn't left the office before 6:00 or 7:00 every night for months. They hadn't been able to travel and see each other since the holidays. Louis had been teaching his spring term writing class at the university still, and he had a week break in June before summer term began. They had only been talking on the phone a few nights a week with their busy schedules.

One day near the end of May, Harry was on his way out for the day, finally hoping to leave on time, when Mr. Oliver Called him into his office.

"Everything alright, sir?"
Harry straightened his jacket as he sat down in the chair across from Mr. Oliver's desk.

"Yes. Yes. Thanks for staying a few minutes longer."
Mr. Oliver took his glasses off and set them beside his empty mug.

Harry nodded and waited.

"Harry, do you remember a few months back I mentioned that Camden Press is going to be going through some big changes?"

"Yes." Harry replied, suddenly feeling a bit nervous.

"Well, we've worked out the logistics and the contracts, and things are going to start changing soon."

"Alright. Anything I can do?"

Mr. Oliver leaned forward and rested his arms on his desk.
"Well, hopefully, it'll be something that Camden can do for you."

"Uh, alright." Harry nodded curiously.

"You've been an exemplary employee and business partner since you started here a few years ago. Paul and I feel confident that we made the right decision having you be Editor in Chief, and we'd like you to continue to move up in the company. However, as you know, Paul and I are president and vice president of Camden Press. It's unfortunate that there isn't really anywhere for you to move up at Camden Press from your current position."

Harry's hands were sweating and he tried to casually wipe them on his trousers. He couldn't tell what direction this was going in.

"Harry."

Harry cleared his throat. "Yes, sir."

"Camden Press is expanding. We're opening a second headquarters. It will be a printing company in association with Camden Press, not just another office building, a whole second publishing company linked to our name."

"Wow. Sir, that's amazing."

"It is." Mr. Oliver nodded.
"It is problematic though. We love having you here at Camden. Paul and I agree you're the most determined Editor in Chief we've had in the sixteen years we've been a company."

"Wow." Harry rubbed the back of his neck.
"That's-- thank you sir. What's problematic then? About the changes?"

"It's problematic, Harry, because while Paul and I would love for you to stay here at Camden as Editor in Chief, we'd also like you to be the president of our new publishing company."

Harry sat back in his seat, eyes wide.

"It would be a big change." Mr. Oliver started, not noticing Harry's reaction.
"An increase in salary of course, the ability to hire your own employees, you'd have liberty over who you decide to publish. Mr. William's book has done quite well, and I've no choice but to trust your judgement on the books that this new company publishes. We'd have quarterly meetings between this new company and Camden to make sure you're still upholding company values, and to make sure everything is running smoothly."

"Sir." Harry sat up a bit straighter.
"That sounds incredible. It's an honour that you and Paul think so highly of me and my ability."

"We do. There is one thing, however. The building for this new company is not in London."

Harry raised an eyebrow.
"No? I walk to work now, but I could take the train if it's not too far outside the city."

"Somehow I don't think you'd make it on time even if you took the train everyday."
Mr. Oliver's lip turned up into the slightest smirk.Harry frowned.

"Okay, uh, well where is the new location then?"

"It would require a rather large move on your part."

Harry waited for him to continue anxiously.

"I believe you're rather fond of Edinburgh, are you not?"

Harry nearly jumped out of his seat, he gripped the cushion to stay seated.
"Yes, sir. I quite enjoy Edinburgh. It's a beautiful city."

"Well then, Harry. Camden's formal offer to you. Is for you to move to Edinburgh and run Edinburgh Printing Co. in association with Camden Press. Details of expectations and benefits will be outlined in the contract if you accept."

Harry leaned back in his seat and tried to process everything that had happened in the last five minutes.
"Yes, I do. I definitely accept the offer."
Harry tried not to grin and giggle as Mr. Oliver nodded approvingly.

"Good." He smiled.
"The new building and your move won't be until August, there's still a few things to work out. Camden will pay for you to have a flat in city centre by the office for the first year; you're welcome to renew the lease or move, whatever you're comfortable with when the first year is up. I've got a handful of recommendations and applications that I'll pass along to you, and you'll begin the hiring process after your move. Sound alright?"

"Yes, sir. It sounds fantastic. Thank you."
Harry said genuinely, standing to shake his hand over the desk.

Mr. Oliver chuckled and shook his hand back enthusiastically.
"One thing though, Harry."

"Yes sir?"

"You will be the president of a publishing company. Equal job title. Level playing field, alright? Please call me Daniel."

Harry threw his head back laughing. "Alright. Sorry, Daniel."

"Much better." Daniel laughed.
"Alright then. Contracts will be on your desk tomorrow morning. Signed by 1 June please."

"Absolutely."
Harry grinned and grabbed his bag, tucking it over his shoulder.

"Perfect. I'm glad we could make this work, Harry. We're excited to see what you do with this opportunity."

"Thank you." Harry shook his hand again and started making his way to the door.

"Oh and Harry?"

"Yes, si-- Daniel?"

Daniel chuckled and crossed his arms.
"Obviously we will have to find a new Editor in Chief to stay here at the London office. Anyone you'd recommend?"

Harry thought for only a second. "Charlie Abbott."

"Alright." Daniel nodded approvingly. "Thank you again, Harry. Have a good evening."

"You too." Harry grinned as he slipped out the door. "Have a good night!"

Harry practically flew home, locking the front door behind him and picking up the phone to call Louis before he even took his shoes off.