xviii.

The week leading up to Harry's departure went too fast for both of them. Louis rushed home from the university everyday to spend as much of the evening with Harry as he could, and Harry made sure he was done with work at least an hour before Louis was due to get home so he could start dinner. They'd established a routine, and neither of them were looking forward to Harry going back to London.
But it was Friday night, and Harry's flight was due to leave at 11:00 a.m. the next day. He'd already packed everything except his current clothes and some for his trip. Louis' edited manuscript was tucked safely in his bag, ready to submit for review.

Harry sat with his back against the arm of the couch with Louis snug against his chest, combing his fingers through his hair. The sun had set, and they sat in the dark of a light-less flat. Only half a dozen candles on the coffee table warmed the air around them.
The moments spent alone like this felt like a different world, and neither was ready to step out of it.

"I don't want you to go away again." Louis whispered, pulling his glasses off and setting them on the table before turning his cheek into Harry's chest.

"I know." He sighed and kissed Louis' head.
"I don't want to go either. But it's not forever, love. I promise."

"Will you come back in the fall? I won't have classes to teach."

"Of course. I'll try and come back in the fall for longer. And in the winter too. Maybe we can spend your birthday and Christmas together." Harry smiled and held Louis a little bit tighter.

"I-- I'd really like that." Louis' chest felt warm at the idea of not spending another birthday or Christmas alone.

"Then that's what we'll do. I'll come back."

They sat in a comfortable silence a while longer. The minutes passed like seconds and the night continued to steal their time.
It was nearly midnight when Louis felt heavier against Harry's chest, his breath evening out into a light sleep. Harry sat and relished in the weight of Louis against his body and watched the candle flames dim as they reached the bottom of their jars.
He combed his fingers through Louis' hair and kissed his forehead, sitting in the near dark for another few minutes before moving.

"Lou" He whispered softly against Louis' hair. "Wake up darling."

Louis groaned quietly into Harry's chest.

"Louis."

"Mm." Louis rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand and looked up at Harry. "Hi."

"Hi, love." Harry smiled softly. "Ready to move to bed?"

"Okay." He nodded and pushed himself up to sit.

Harry grinned and scooped Louis into his arms, laughing when he gasped and snuggled against his chest, and walked them to the bedroom. Harry set Louis down on the bed and gave him a quick kiss before stripping down to his pants and climbing onto the bed beside him. Louis tugged his own shirt and trousers off and pulled the blankets up higher over them, reaching out to turn off the lamp on the nightstand.
Harry wrapped an arm around Louis' waist and let his other hand rub gently over Louis' shoulders, occasionally tangling his fingers in his hair. He hummed quietly as he held Louis close to his chest.

"Harry?" Louis whispered into the darkness.

"Yeah, love?"

"I don't want to sleep yet... I-- I want more time with you."

Harry's chest tightened at the waver in Louis' voice. "Okay, love. We'll stay up."
He pressed a reassuring kiss to Louis' shoulder before he rolled over to face him.

Louis' eyes looked glassy even in the darkness. He reached out to ghost his fingers along Harry's cheek and jaw. Harry leaned into his touch and closed his eyes.