The Arsonist

Summary: After being invited to a juvenile detention centre for a talk, Professor Hershel Layton can't help noticing the only boy to have taken an interest, and can't help hoping to save this boy from his terrible situation.

"So then," the Professor said to the class, holding up the fossil for everyone to see. "Based on what we've all discussed so far, who can tell me what we're all looking at?"

Nobody responded.

Hershel found it difficult to hide his disappointment. At least thirty boys in this class and not a single one of them wanted to dignify him with a reply?

Thankfully, before one of the guards could point someone out to answer, a little hand appeared over the heads of the students.

"Yes," said Hershel, pointing him out. "You there."

It was a skinny little redhead towards the left side of the class, legs swinging free under his chair and face rounded by puppy fat. If he didn't know any better, Hershel would have assumed the boy was the youngest in the class. Perhaps even the youngest in the entire detention centre.

"It's a scorpion tail," he said.

"Absolutely correct," the Professor replied, "and can you tell me why it looks the way it does?"

Again, every boy in the class avoided eye contact.

"Perhaps you should-"

Before he had a chance to offer the fossil to the boys to examine and pass around, Warden McLoughlin stepped forward and ushered him back, shaking his head.

Much as it filled him with dismay, Hershel understood. These were juvenile offenders, after all. There was no telling what any one of these boys would be capable of if provided with something like this, fossil or not.

The same small redhead raised his hand, and the Professor nodded to him for his answer.

"It's opalized," the boy said. "Turned into opal."

"That's correct!" Hershel replied. "Quite a rare phenomenon and a spectacular find for any archaeologist worth their salt. I feel extremely lucky to be able to hold this in my hands, let alone show it to all of you."

He gently rested the opalized scorpion tail back in the little padded bag he had retrieved it from.

When he looked up, the redhead had raised his hand again.

"You have a question, Foster?" asked Warden McLoughlin.

The small boy – Foster, apparently – took a moment to shoot the warden a poisonous glare.

"Couldn't it just be an opal someone carved to look like a scorpion tail?" he asked.

Hershel took a moment to allow the inmate's question due respect.

"I can understand why you would consider that to be a possibility," he responded, "but you may be interested to know that I was present for the dig where this fossil was discovered. Not only that, but when it was found, it was still connected to the rest of the scorpion, which had yet to opalize. Were it not for my associate's clumsiness, it still would be connected. So while your concern is appreciated, I'm afraid it's rather misplaced."

Foster's face fell into another annoyed scowl as the boys around him sniggered, and one of those beside him elbowed him in the arm.

"Well, I'm sure we've all learned something valuable," Warden McLoughlin spoke up, "but I'm afraid that's all the time we have for today's class. Care to give Professor Layton your thanks, boys?"