That Dragon...

Summary: It's true that a teacher shouldn't get involved in the personal lives of his students, but as Phoenix realises Hershel has been forced to learn, it's impossible not to care when something terrible happens to them.

Phoenix glanced up from his book as he heard the front door close.

"Hey," he called as he saw the dark shape approaching. "If I'd known you were coming back, I would've filled the kettle."

The footsteps he heard were slow, hesitant, almost shuffling.

"How much do you know about Victorian trials?" he asked, uncrossing his legs. "I feel like a jurist system could work, but it'd be better if the jurists weren't in the courtroom to argue with the lawyers. Not only that, but they're not allowed to vote until the end of the trial. What do you think?"

His question was met with silence.

When he looked up at Hershel, he saw the smaller man simply standing in place, staring emptily down at the couch in front of him that Phoenix had laid himself across.

"Where are Des and the kids?"

His voice was faint, monotone and numb.

"They went grocery shopping." Phoenix snapped his book shut and set it down on the coffee table. "Apparently you guys ran out of breakfast cereal or something. Hershel, what's wrong?"

Without a word, Hershel walked over to the coffee table and dropped his hat on it. He stood for a few seconds in silence, fists clenched, and Phoenix had to look carefully to make sure he was still breathing.

"Hershel?" he said again.

He heard a sniff.

"...I..."

When Hershel turned to look at him, Phoenix saw that his dark eyes were swollen and bloodshot, and his cheeks were oddly streaked.

"Hershel, what happened?" he asked, shuffling to sit up against the couch arm.

Without a word, without waiting for any objection, Hershel sat down across Phoenix's lap and leaned into his body, nestling his head into Phoenix's shoulder.

As soon as he had processed what was happening, Phoenix rested his arm around Hershel's shoulders and held him close.

"Talk to me, babe." He wiped a fresh tear away from Hershel's eye. "Did something happen at work?"

Hershel sniffed again. He didn't even try to look Phoenix in the face.

He took a deep breath.

"...a student..." he said softly.

Phoenix frowned.

"What about a student?" He cuddled his boyfriend as hard as he dared. "What the hell did they do to you?!"

"N-nothing," Hershel stammered. "It isn't me. I'm alright, I promise."

He reached up and gently took Phoenix's hand away from his face, and moved it to the top of his head. Phoenix followed his lead and ran his fingers over Hershel's wonderfully soft hair, ignoring the sweat clogged against his scalp from his adorable boyfriend's crying.

"...one student in my class," Hershel said softly, "has been unable to attend my classes since the third week of the semester. Her name is Valerie Glover. It's... it's rather an unusual experience for me. I have to make sure her friends have supplemental materials they can provide her with."

He wiped his eyes on the heel of his palm.

"Her absence hasn't affected her work ethic in the slightest." His voice was strained and exhausted. "She always turns in her assignments on time and they're always top quality. She's one of my best students, on top of being a lovely young lady who never fails to apologise for not being able to attend..."