12. Ministry of Magic (British)

HARRY POTTER GUIDE.
12. Ministry of Magic (British)

The Ministry of Magic (M.o.M.) is the main governing body of the magical community of Great Britain (i.e., England, Scotland, and Wales) and Ireland, with the intention of preservation of magical law. The Ministry connects the British government to the wizarding world. The headquarters of the Ministry is under the HM Treasury building and Whitehall, in central London, deep underground. It is headed by the Minister for Magic. By 2019, the Minister for Magic was Hermione Granger. Each Prime Minister of Great Britain is visited by the Minister for Magic. During the height of the Dark Lord's power, the Minister for Magic worked with the Muggle Prime Minister to ensure protection for the Muggle world. The Ministry of Magic was formed as a successor to the earlier Wizards' Council and came into being in 1707. It was involved, in some capacity before its actual formation, in the International Confederation of Wizards' decision to enact the Statute of Secrecy in 1692, which took the responsibility of enforcing said Statute in the United Kingdom. The laws against magic-use by underage wizards and against wand use by non-wizard folk were also enforced by the Ministry, in part to maintain secrecy. Other countries, such as Norway, France, Germany, Bulgaria, etc., have their own Ministries of Magic. The United States of America was one of the exceptions, given that its governing magical body was instead referred to as a "Magical Congress" (MACUSA).