35. Wizarding Schools: Castelobruxo

HARRY POTTER GUIDE.
35. Wizarding Schools: Castelobruxo

Castelobruxo (pronounced 'cass-tell-o-broo-shoo') was the Brazilian wizarding school. Located amid the Amazon rainforest in northern Brazil, it accepted students from all over South America.

Location: Described as fabulous, this building was a large, square edifice constructed out of golden rock. It was often compared to a temple. The castle was under an enchantment that made it appear as a ruin to the few Muggles who chanced upon it. Hogwarts Castle was concealed from Muggles in the same manner; it is unknown who first came up with the idea. Both the castle and grounds of Castelobruxo were protected by the Caipora, which emerged at night to watch over students, as well as the other creatures that inhabited the surrounding rainforest. Based on Pottermore's depiction, the Castelobruxo castle resembles a Mesoamerican pyramid. These structures were usually step pyramids with temples on top. The castle being made of golden rock may be in reference to the various legends of "cities of gold" in Central and South America, such as El Dorado or the City of the Caesars.

History: Castelobruxo was implied to be at least as old as Hogwarts — that is, over a thousand years. This was due to the fact that both castles had been enchanted since their beginnings so they appeared as a ruin to Muggles; it was debated which school first came up with the idea. During Armando Dippet's tenure as Hogwarts Headmaster, he was visited by Benedita Dourado, then-Headmistess of Castelobruxo. When Dippet complained about the antics of Peeves the Poltergeist, Dourado offered to send him some Caipora to show him "what trouble really is" (the offer was not accepted). During the 1986–1987 school year, ancient ruins were discovered beneath the school. Patricia Rakepick travelled to the school to investigate these ruins, where she was found by Albus Dumbledore, who invited her to work at Hogwarts the next year. In the 1989-1990 school year Alanza Alves moved from Castelbruxo to Hogwarts as an exchange student.

Uniform: Students at Castelobruxo wore bright green robes outlined by yellow line patterns, with red ring patterns on both of the upper sleeves, and yellow and blue triangular patterns in a stripe halfway up the hem with two tassels of the same colours attached to it.

Reputation: Castelobruxo students were especially advanced in Herbology and Magizoology, and the school offered very popular exchange programmes for students from European wizarding schools.