Protective

Things had been silent in the apartment since they had returned from the mission. Gray didn't say a word, ducking into the bathroom before Juvia could speak. The door closed and she pouted, dragging herself to their bedroom to change. It was late and they were both tired. They could talk in the morning, after he had calmed down.

By the time Gray came out of the bathroom, Juvia was already in bed with her back to him, a familiar object clenched in her arms.

"Juvia, we had a deal. Come on, give me the doll." He said, laying down beside her.
"No. This Gray-Sama doesn't get mad at Juvia," she mumbled, hiding her face in the doll.
"I'm not mad at you," Gray sighed, rubbing his forehead.

When she didn't respond, her turned onto his side to face her. He lightly touched her curls as she kept her back to him. Juvia was curled up in a ball, the Gray doll crushed in her arms.

"Can you at least look at me?" The ice mage asked. After a moment of hesitation, she rolled over and he was met with his girlfriend's watery eyes.
"Hey, hey, hey," he panicked, wiping her tears. "What're you crying for?"
Juvia covered her face with her doll and mumbled something.
"Didn't quite catch that babe," Gray said, moving pieces of blue hair out of her face.
Juvia lifted her head, but still wouldn't meet his eyes.
"Juvia made Gray-Sama angry," she repeated quietly. Gray sighed, moving his hand to the back of her head and pulling her closer.
"You didn't do anything, Juvia. I wasn't angry at you,"
"Then why did Gray-Sama yell?"
"I was scared, okay? I know you can take care of yourself, but when I saw how close that monster was to hurting you, I panicked."

Juvia remembered the end of their mission clearly. She had spotted one lone monster that had been away from the rest of the group, and went after it without a second thought. It noticed her too, and fired an attack. But with a quick water slicer, she had defeated the creature. Gray then appeared next to her, yelling about being irresponsible and putting herself in danger. The train ride home had been silent, Juvia being unsure what to say.

"I'm sorry," Gray whispered, pressing a kiss to her forehead.
"Juvia understands. But Juvia knows how to handle herself," she replied.
"I know, but I still want to protect you,"

She looked up and he saw the beautiful smile he loved so much.
"And Juvia wants to protect Gray-Sama.  But he has to trust Juvia to do things on her own."
"I know, I know. I will,"
Juvia smiled, pleased with his answer, and he hugged her closer.
"Goodnight Gray-Sama," she said sweetly. "Goodnight Juvia," the two cuddled closer, closing their eyes.

Just as she closed her eyes, Juvia felt the doll being pulled from her hold and heard it thrown off the bed before Gray pulled her closer to his chest. She chuckled softly, wrapping her arms around the real version.
"Wait until Juvia tells the others that Gray-Sama is jealous of a doll." She whispered with a giggle.

Gray grumbled in response, burying his face in her neck.