Earth To Vivi

It had been ninety-seven years since the nuclear apocalypse had killed everyone on Earth, leaving the planet uninhabitable due to radiation. Fortunately, there were survivors. Twelve nations had operational space stations at the time of the bombs. There is now only the Ark, one station forged from the many. We're told the Earth needs another hundred years to become survivable again. Four more space-locked generations, and man can go home, back to the ground.

The Ark was no different from Earth as far as I had read. Apart from the lack of nature and daylight, there was those in charge, rich factions and poor factions. Although, this place seemed to be more strict as every little crime was punishable, even something as human as having a second child would be enough to get you punished. I guess that is where I come in, a silly girl who didn't understand her actions. One small sin had earned me my death sentence at the age of eighteen, nothing was left but to count down the days to my death inside the death tank as I call or it... or rather the Sky Box.

Chains rattled outside the door, alerting me to the presence of the guards who had appeared, calling out my number as though I was nothing. 704... Is that all I had become? All those generations of my family, who fought for their independence, had their efforts become futile. Now we were trapped and oppressed by those in power once again.

"Am I being floated?"

Silence.

"You can't do this, I'm too young!" I cried out as the man grabbed my wrist harshly, his fingernails digging into my flesh leading to a trail of crimson red liquid pouring out. "It hurts-" Within a second, my survival instincts kicked in, my knee made contact with the guards male parts causing him to loosen his grip and groan.

I took the chance to dive out the door, leading me into the main hallways where I could see the same thing happening to the other prisoners around me. My heart was beating so fast, it felt as if it would tear itself out. Unbeknownst to me, the guard was not alone. Before I could even process his presence, the second guard had reached out to grab my hair and threw his fist towards my face. Everything became groggy, the noises fading into a light buzzing before the silence came and so did the darkness.

~

Taking in a deep breath, my eyes shot open as my head bobbed to the side. I seemed to be in another tin can, only this time I was surrounded by people and was strapped to a highly uncomfortable seat. My eyes had set sight on the floating boy in the air, my heart dropping as I realised something was wrong. Were we being floated as a group?

Before my mind could even begin to list the possibilities of what was happening, their was a harsh jolt which sent some bodies flying across the ship into the main pipes. Lights sparked above and steam was released, clouding my vision. The only thing to be heard was screams ad the ship crashed into something, the machines shutting down.

"Listen." Someone spoke up. "No machine hum."

"Whoa. That's a first." Another retorted with a chuckle following after.

Suddenly, multiple clicks were heard. They were unbuckling themselves from their seats. I was never a sheep, however, now I was in an unknown environment. There seemed to be no other option other than getting up from my seat and heading with the rest of them so I could find out where I was and why.

"The outer door is on the lower level. Let's go." A male voice sounded out, earning a debate from another member of the group, this time a female.

"No. We can't just open the doors."

"Hey, just back it up, guys." A rougher male voice sounded, he seemed like an authoritative figure from his sternness and looked like one as I headed over to see what the commotion was about. There stood a tall olive skinned male with slicked back hair wearing a black guards uniform.