Murphy's Law

Perching in my usual spot, I observed as the camp were diligently finishing assembling the wall, made out of various tree branches and any other material that would help. Of course, I wanted to help but that would involve speaking to others, which was still uncomfortable to me, and I had my own stuff to sort out. Building up the camp didn't just mean the walls around us, it also meant where we slept, where we ate and where we stored food.

Currently, I was busy attempting to fix up my tent from before. I had managed to get it up on its own but like the overthinker I was, I worried about the location of it and how it would uphold with the weather down on earth so I was trying to make sure it was secure and out of the way.

"Hey! You think the Grounders are just gonna sit around, and wait for us to finish the wall? Maybe we should let the little girl do the lifting for you, huh?" Murphy's voice bellowed, reaching as far as her tent despite being almost near the opposite end of the camp.

By now I was used to Murphy's constant rude attitude and cruel actions but that didn't mean I was okay with it. Every time he opened his mouth, I desperately longed to fill it up with poison berries and seal it till he would be forced to swallow them to breathe. Perhaps it was the spending time with criminals but I felt myself getting my thoughts getting more violent each day, or maybe it was just a special hatred for Murphy.

Hearing a harsh thud along with a grunt, it was clear that Murphy was getting abusive once again. Sighing, I headed outside my tent, glancing over to see what all the commotion was about. Surprise! Surprise! Murphy was abusing a campmate.

"Get back to work."

I was taken aback when Murphy made eye contact with me, heading my way with an unreadable expression on his face. Oh, God! Was I next? Do I throw the first punch and run? Where to? Bellamy? Somewhere outside the wall?

"Hey, Ch*nk-"

Sending Murphy a glare, he retracted his slur and corrected himself.

"I mean Vivi," his sudden smile made me feel uncomfortable. "How are you today?"

"What?"

"Come," he stood beside me, putting his arm over my shoulder. "Walk with me."

"Never thought I would miss being in my cell on the Ark more than now," I retorted, earning a laugh from him. God this is weird.

"You know, as a campmate, you also have an obligation to help out." Murphy shot back, earning an eye roll from me.

"I don't think I'd be of much help," I sighed, deciding to be honest. "Isn't there anything else to do? Preferably with no people around."

"You could always join me in my tent," he winked.

"I don't know what's more worrying, you flirting with me or you being suddenly nice." I looked away from Murphy to see Bellamy approaching. Great! More people!

"Who's flirting?" Bellamy interrupted, his curiosity being peaked.

Shrugging off Murphy's arm, I moved away to stand opposite the pair and pursing my lips together as the awkwardness settled in.

"No one."

"On the contrary," Murphy chuckled. "Now that her black eye is gone, she's actually hot-"

"Well, she was hot before-"

"If I stay any longer, I'm gonna hear somethings I most likely don't want or need to hear," I excused myself, turning around and heading to the dropship alone.

Caught off-guard, Bellamy appeared beside me, pulling me to the side of the inside of the dropship. Bellamy's eyes bore into mine, leaving me trying to avoid eye contact as it made me uncomfortable. Also, since our last encounter in the cave where I called him handsome, I'd been kind of distant.