Chapter 2. Well, I Guess People Don't Know Science

November 1, 2016. 3:20 PM.

I dispel the magic dome and get into a car with Natasha.

"So, do you have a name?" She asks.

"Shadow."

"I'm Natasha Romanoff, but you knew that already."

"Where are we going?"

"Avengers Compound. It's aways upstate."

I stay quiet for a while, just thinking.

"You don't talk much, do you?" She asks

"Am I allowed to talk more?" I ask.

"What do you mean 'am I allowed to?' Of course you are. You're with the Avengers now, you have fifteen pairs of ears to talk off."

"Really?"

"Yes, really. Why did you ask if you were allowed to talk more?"

"Something from my past. I'd rather not talk about it, if you don't mind." I say.

"That's fine, everyone has stuff that they're not ready to talk about."

"Why me?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why me? Why'd you pick me?"

"You really can't take a guess?"

I raise an eyebrow and Natasha starts explaining.

"You, the shadow that's killed over a hundred people, no living witnesses. You got skills. It's time to use them for good." She declares.

"Didn't know I was that important." I shrug.

"Trust me, you're important. You'll love the Avengers." Natasha smiles.

Ok?

7:30 PM.

A few hours later, we come to a stop at a large building. Maybe this is Avengers Compound.

We get out of the car and walk into a room with a lot of people sitting on couches talking.

"Ok everyone! This is Shadow. The newest Avenger." Natasha shouts, making sure that everyone hears her.

"Hold on. This is the assassin? She's just a kid!" A man with long brown hair and a metal arm says. I kick him in the chest and he falls on his butt.

"There's more to me than that." I say, crossing my arms.

Everyone stares at me for a few minutes until a boy who looks around my age walks up to me.

"Hi! I'm Peter Parker-Stark! Spider-Man." The boy smiles and holds his hand out.

"Spider-Man, huh? Do you shoot webs?" I ask and he nods.

"From where?" I ask.

He looks at me confused.

"FROM WHERE?!"

"Uhh, the web slingers on my wrists? I make my own synthetic web fluid." Peter responds.

"Oh phew." I sigh. Everyone looks at me confused. "Because spiders shoot webs out of their butt. Doesn't anyone here know that?"

"Ok, well Agent Hill and I should be going now. Here's my number if something goes wrong." Fury says as he hands me a slip of paper and walks out of the room.

"Who wants to play?" Peter says as he whips out a deck of go fish cards.

"Hey, Shadow, I'm Clint. What's your T.E?" He asks.