Part Three

You spend hours roaming the halls with Bucky laughing, joking, and taking pictures of the house of course. You talk about everything from your childhood to your hobbies, you even brought up your arch nemesis from summer camp. You were surprised how easy it was to open up to him, considering how much of an introvert you were. But for some reason you just felt comfortable with him; drawn to him, even.

You weren't sure if it was because of the insane house he lived in, or because he was just so..dreamy. Dazzling smile, piercing blue eyes you can get lost in, the sweetest laugh you've ever heard and when you talk, no matter how meaningless, you always had his undivided attention. It also didn't help that he was funny and smart and were you seriously falling so hard for a man you met just this morning? This is bad.

"This house is my inheritance. It's my birthright." Bucky tells you, "But lately it's become too much to bear. It's just me in the house. Me and the help, and even then I don't see much of them. It's very..."

"Lonely?" you supply. He gives you a sad smile before nodding. You always knew just what I was feeling, Jo, he thinks to himself.

Bucky opens his mouth only to be cut off by Alexander, who seemingly popped out of nowhere. How do they all do that? You think to yourself.

"Storms swollen the river" he says, which causes Bucky to sigh.

"What? What does that mean?" you ask confused.
"The storm's flooded the road." he reiterates, "I'm afraid you won't be able to leave the mansion. At least, not tonight."

"Oh is that all it is? Just a little water?" you laugh, "I'm sure I'll be fine, I have a Jeep."

"It isn't safe Y/N," Bucky stresses, suddenly very serious, "Your car could be swept away. I can't lo- I can't let that happen. I'm the one who asked you here. It's only right that I give you shelter for the night."

"Bucky, it's fine. I really don't want to be a bother."

"You won't be! I have plenty of rooms. That's the problem, remember?" he teases. And just like that, the nervousness you were showing is gone. You crack a smile at his jab before nodding your head in agreement.

"Great! It's settled then. Alexander will show you to your room."

You couldn't sleep so decided to do some exploring of the mansion

You couldn't sleep so decided to do some exploring of the mansion. You make your way down the hall and see a maid exiting one of the rooms.

"Excuse me! Sorry to bother you, but is there a library here?"

The woman only stares at you before turning around making her way down the hall. You try to call out to her again and she starts running.

"Hey, wait! I'm not gonna hurt you! I'm just looking for-" you turn a corner and she's gone. Great. You turn around again and scream.

"Alexander, you scared me!" you laugh, putting a hand to your chest in an effort to stop your heart from racing.

"Did you need something?" he asks in a monotone voice.

"Yes, actually. I was wondering if there was a library here by any chance?" you ask him.

"Yes, right through that door." he tells you before leaving again.

You enter the library and are immediately blown away. The place is filled with books and on the mantle above the fireplace, a vase filled with roses. You step closer to them and take a whiff of their floral scent before gently caressing the petals.

"Beautiful aren't they?"

Startled by the voice, you knock over a stack of books that was on the mantle.

"I am so sorry! I didn't hear you come in" you say, immediately dropping down to pick them up.

"No, it's my fault." Bucky says as he bends down to help you. "My love, my Josephine. She absolutely loved flowers. Roses were her favorite. I promised her I'd fill the house up with them."

"Aww" you can't help but gush. "You would do that for her?" you ask, picking up the last of the books.

"Of course. I would have done anything for her. But it was just...not meant to be. She was taken from me, far too soon."

"I'm so sorry" you say, placing a comforting hand on his arm. Bucky stares at your hand for a few seconds before looking at you. There's so much emotion in his eyes, you can practically see the heartache on his face.

"It's quite alright. Love doesn't die just because one does." he says with a sad smile.

"So I've been meaning to ask..." you say, changing the subject to try to cheer him up.

"It's my name isn't it?" he sighs.

"I just wanna know where Bucky comes from!" you plead with a laugh.

"Fair enough. I know it isn't the most common. It comes from Buchanan, which is also uncommon, I suppose. But that's my middle name! My first name is-"

"James" you say absentmindedly, still walking around the library.

Bucky drops the book on his desk and looks over at you.

"How did you know that?" he asks urgently.

"I-I don't know." you tell him honestly, "It just felt right. You just...look like a James, if that makes sense."

You stand in tense silence for a few seconds before you clear your throat and look away.

"I really am sorry about the books."

"Don't be. It's my fault. Alexander hates when I leave them lying around. I once left one in the hallway and he tripped over it" he tells you with a laugh.

"Yeah, he seems very...serious."

"He comes off that way to everyone. But he's the complete opposite once you get to know him. He's looked out for me for years, decades. He's like a father to me. He's always been there for my family and I. I can't remember ever being without him."

"James- sorry, is it okay that I call you James?"

"You can call me whatever you want." You've always called me James, sugar.

"James, can I ask you something? This house, it's been in your family for generations. It's your home. Why would you want to sell it?"

"These walls are filled with so many memories, some of them are painful. And that pain, sometimes it completely overpowers all the happy memories. It's my house but it isn't my home. It stopped feeling like home a long time ago."

At your confused silence he continues.

"I think, for you to understand, I should really just show you." he says, offering you his arm.

When you just stare at him he adds, "It's alright. There's nothing to be afraid of. I would never hurt you, sugar."

You take his arm and let him lead you out of the room.