Forecast

'Valeween [Pronounced Veil-ween] occurs within the season of Auburntide. It occurs at least once every ten years, but at irregular intervals. The only way to reliably predict the arrival of Valeween is a series of weather phenomena, starting with a Boiling Rainstorm that lasts for three days...'
- Valeween for Witchlings, Page 3, Chapter 1

Sometimes, Luz likened living on the Boiling Isles to living on another planet

Sometimes, Luz likened living on the Boiling Isles to living on another planet... Until she really thought about it, and realized that technically, she was.

Probably, anyway. She assumed that she was on a planet. If somehow, the Boiling Isles wasn't located on a planet, but.... On something else, she couldn't say that she would be entirely surprised at this point. That honestly wouldn't have been the weirdest thing to learn about this place. But going back to her analogy, there had always been the absolute barest levels of familiarity that somehow both made the place even more bizarre, but gave her something to hold onto and let her integrate herself into daily life.

The languages spoken on both sides of the Realm were virtually identical in every way, aside from some naming conventions and the occasional new word. There were similar sorts of buildings, from libraries to schools, to castles and stadiums. And because Luz had thrown herself into the world of fantasy back home that drew from mythology and legends, the Boiling Isles had a few recognizable aspects to her. Like the existence of Griffons, monsters, and of course, Magic.

Of course, she was still in another Realm, and that was where the few similarities ended. Everything else was beyond different - From the variety of Witches with inhuman characteristics that functioned as part of regular society, to the wild architecture of every building, to the very ground they walked on being the body of a Titan, as opposed to the earth back in the Human Realm.

Easily though, one of the most noteworthy differences was the weather between the two worlds, and that was the source of Luz's current frustrations.

Over the past three days, a huge, intense thunderstorm had swept over the Boiling Isles, blanketing the island in Boiling Rain. Every Witch, Demon, Palisman, and everything else in between was trapped indoors, forced to wait out the storm, and Luz was no exception. Being the energetic and outgoing girl she was, she felt trapped within the walls of the Owl House, her home made a prison, but if she as much as stepped outside, she would be covered in nasty burns. Whether she liked it or not, Luz was stuck.

If it wasn't for the invention of the Crystal Ball, Luz wouldn't have been able to keep in touch with her friends, and the young human would have gone completely stir-crazy by the end of the third day.

"Uuuuugh, I never thought I'd miss school," Luz muttered, dragging her hands through her hair before face-planting on the desk. The magical blue light of the Crystal Ball filled Luz's bedroom, casting shadows on the wall that were just as frustrated as she was.

Granted, she actually liked school here, but that was beside the point - People weren't supposed to miss going to school!

She groaned, and looked up at the Crystal Ball. "I have no idea how you guys put up with this all the time."