Blue Flames

Valeween was a time in the Boiling Isles that, if someone wanted to make it out unscathed, their best best was to follow the rules of engagement that had been learnt through centuries of facing off against the creatures. Constant experimentation, the testing of new ideas, and risk were all fundamental to what little the Witches of the Boiling Isles had come to know about their otherworldly invaders, and if one wanted to get through the event with the best chance of not being infected by them, if they valued their social standing, and in some cases, their lives, they would respect those lessons learned.

One of those rules was a very simple one. One that was absolutely foundational to the event unharmed, and with the best chances of wellbeing. It was one that was just as fundamental to the basic laws of nature, and eternally applicable to Witches and to Humans in life-and-death situations alike.

'Never be alone.' 

-Valeween for Witchlings, Chapter 8, Page 78

Cherubim were predators, and they acted as such - They would always go for the weakest target whenever they got the opportunity to. The old, the ill, the weak, and the young. Of every group though, someone who was alone was an easy target, every single time. One person could easily be outnumbered, out powered, and if need be, outlasted. So if someone was thinking right, or had a sensible head on their shoulders, they wouldn't go off alone. They would stay in a group, and make sure they had at least one other person besides them, no matter what.

But this was not a rule Luz was willing to respect right now.

There wasn't any time to grab hold of anyone, and there wasn't any time to tell anyone where she was going. There wasn't even any time to even think about doing either of those things. Luz didn't even think in the slightest.

She just ran. She ran as fast as she could, her body moving on its own as she darted down the streets and the alleyways needed to get to Blight Manor.

A part of her mind knew what she was doing was dumb - That there was a very good chance that she got injured of infected by the Cherubim, and that she was probably going to be berated by everyone she knew when all was said and done.

Right now though, she couldn't care less.

Light blue flames continued to bellow into the sky from Blight Manor, and Luz had to work really, really hard to not let those flames fill her entire vision, lest she not see an incoming Cherubim, or God forbid, an Adult Cherubim. But she couldn't tear her eyes away from it for too long either. And every second that passed motivated her to pick up the pace, to run faster, to get there as quickly as she could.

Thousands of questions ran through her mind, all at the same time.

What had caused the fire?

Were Cherubim responsible, or was a Witch?

Was anyone in the Manor, or had it been abandoned for Valeween?

Where was Amity?

Was she okay?

A swarm of Cherubim spotted Luz, and began to swoop down at the Human as she ran as fast as her legs could carry her. She saw them flying in, coming at her in a direct head-on assault. The lead Cherubim had already cracked it's jaw open, and was charging it's Cherubim Ray in it's eye, ready to fire.

Desperation and fury fuelled Luz's movements as she reached into her jacket, and slammed three Ice Glyphs into the ground as soon as the Cherubim flew in close.

Spikes erupted, and ran through about half of the Cherubim before they even got close to the Human. Chunks of ice formed stepping stones, allowing her to jump between the gaps, and slam her baseball bat with all her might against the Cherubim that had managed to dodge the ice.