Chapter 47

When I got home, Catrina didn't say a word to me. She let me go to my room and do what I want. It's probably because Felix said there was proof of her harassing me.

Paul seemed surprised by the silence at dinner that night. He looked between Catrina, who ate her food in less than five minutes and left the dinner table. Even the chef seemed surprised.

Amanda gave me a look with her eyes and I smiled at her.

"Is Catrina okay?" Paul asked me.

"I stood up to her," I replied.

"You, what?"

I looked up at Paul. "I stood up to her, Dad. I told her I'm going to be whatever I want and she shouldn't care."

Paul stared at me for a second before ruffling my hair. "I'm so proud of you, Sky!"

"Thanks," I beamed.

"And continue calling me Dad."

"We're going to need some time for that," I replied. "But, sure." I've grown to appreciate Paul. He always defended me and wasn't like Catrina at all. He really was like a father.

"By the way, Sky..." Paul started. "Where were you two?"

I choked on my food and Cody and I looked at each other.

"We went to Chloe's house," I replied.

"We broke up," Cody whispered to me.

"Sorry, just joking. We went to Target. For no reason," I told Paul.

He looked between us and then shrugged. "Okay." He put away his plate and went back to his office.

"Are you sure the powers are gone?"

I nodded. "I locked eyes with a bunch of drivers on the street just to test. They thought I was weird, but at least I know the power is gone. It's kinda sad now that I think about it. Like a piece of me was ripped away."

"Aww," Cody said.

I grimaced. "What?"

"That's sad."

I laughed. "It's okay... I'll get used to it. It'll be easier because I have more friends now."

"Is Haruki going to leave for Japan?"

I nodded. "She's leaving on Wednesday."

Cody frowned and hugged me. "I don't want her to leave."

I hugged him back. "Me neither." It was more upsetting than I thought it would be.

***

I skipped out of school on Wednesday and looked at everyone in the eye without hesitation. I finally felt like a normal girl.

"You're overly enthusiastic," Kimberly said, catching up to me.

"I feel... ordinary."

"Is that a good or a bad thing?"

"Good, Kim! Dummy."

"Okay, okay... By the way, what did you and Felix talk about while you were gone."

"He basically explained to me that I can help people without my powers."

"Ohhh, so that's what that was about. Didn't you want to be a lawyer or something?"

I nodded. "Yeah, but Catrina said no."

"Ohhh," Kimberly said. "I get it."

"Did you finish Walkman's project?"