Chapter 5: Ava

* Important update! Please read*

As of June 15th, 2021, In His Corner will be available exclusively on Amazon as part of the Kindle Unlimited Program. I will only be able to keep 10% of the book on Wattpad as a preview :) wanted to give everyone currently reading a heads up! 

---

I'm hungover. Not quite wasted, totally miserable, hungover, but certainly pounding headache worthy. I groan out loud and roll myself off the small twin sized toward the ground, leaning my head back dramatically. After a few minutes, I head to the kitchen, in desperate search of where Shelly keeps the Tylenol. Since I've only been here for two weeks I still don't know where everything is. The realization makes me yearn for my modern off-campus apartment and my very recent past life where my biggest concerns were upcoming exams or what to wear to a fraternity party with Jacob. Now I had looming college debt, an entirely uncertain future, and a shadow of a social life that was a bit too close to illegal underground fighting for my taste.

"Looking for Tylenol?" Shelly comes up behind me, her straight blonde hair in total disarray. I smile weakly at her as she takes a medicine bottle down from a cabinet by the refrigerator before pulling out a carton of orange juice.

"Shell, I need a job." I slump down onto one of her bar stools, holding my pounding head in my hands.

"Okay well, one thing at a time. Tylenol first, job second." She slides me a full glass of orange juice. "Eric said that Coach Barry is looking for a gym assistant. Not like for fighting stuff but more like back of house work. You know, folding towels, keeping up with the supplies list, making sure the equipment is replaced when needed. Administrative type things. I guess I just assumed they'd look for a guy but I mean, why couldn't you do the job? You're more organized and punctual than anyone else I know."

"Um, Shelly, no. We barely survived a fifteen-minute visit to the gym. I cannot work there." I had been studying marketing in college. Yes, I am organized but there is no way that trait alone would be enough to bridge the distance between my world and a fighting gym. I'm not trying to be overly picky considering my shit hand at the moment, but what Shelly is suggesting is simply not a viable job option. Even in my currently desperate situation.

"Look Ava, jobs are slim pickings right now. And the way I see it, you need one fast. Plus you need to get your mind off of all that shit with your dad and school. This phase is temporary, I promise. The faster you get working, the faster you make money and the sooner you get back to your life. I'm sure at some point within the next year a job will open up at the salon, but it will be a few months before Kara is trained enough to leave her front desk rotation." Shelly gives me a pointed glare and I can't help but admit that many of her points are valid. At this point, I have about five-hundred dollars to my name. Plus, beyond the money, which I very much need for the first time in my privileged life, I'm also in dire need of routine and structure again until I can figure out my next steps.

"Okay, I'll think about it." I'll also be scouring literally every online job board for alternative options, but I kept this inner dialogue to myself. My tone comes out accurately doubtful so I don't get her hopes up, but the reality of my situation hits me. I've never had a job before. I'd only ever interned at my dad's office or worked on various college committees. What did I really know about an honest day's work? I was a college girl. I had planned on finishing my four-year degree and having my pick of marketing agencies to choose from. I thought my job decisions would come down to factors like what city I wanted to live in or whether I liked the company's mission statement. Not whether or not I felt physically safe surrounded by brawling underground boxers.

But those plans abandoned me like something caught on fire, dropping me out of the clear blue sky when the facade of my dad's life blew up. His entire company had been a scam. Behind the smoke and mirrors, he had no money to his name, and the supposed money he'd been using to pay for my degree was all loan money he'd taken out in my name. So now I have two years of unexpected college debt, no savings, and a father who has basically lied about his entire life and career. Since my mom died when I was just two years old, he had always been my rock. My whole family. I felt like I was falling without any idea of when I'd hit the ground. Shelly had been my only saving grace when all this shit hit the fan.