Treasure

Being your own boss has its perks

I can have lunch whenever I want, for starters. Plus, if I want the day off, then I take the day off.

However.

I also lose money. So that's why I am hunting around a car boot sale with Lauren one foggy Sunday morning, my wellies sinking into the mud as I blow on my hands. I'd already hit the jackpot with the bag stuffed in my carrier bag, clutching it close to my chest.

The bag is worth at least three hundred pounds, and I paid a tenner for it. Lauren sifts through some shoes beside me, whilst I hunt through a pile of designer clothing.

All you need is a great find, or better yet; a decent seller on a car boot, and voila. You can relax.

"How much for this?" Lauren asks, lifting a golden bottle of perfume up to the harassed woman dragging boxes from the boot of her car. She squints, before sighing.

"It's authentic," she nods towards the bottle Lauren is clutching in her hands. "But I'll take fifteen."

"Ten?" Lauren asks, tilting her head.

The woman shakes her head, and the pair battle it out over five quid. I move along to the next stall, smiling as a little girl lines up her dolls neatly on a blanket.

"If you want one, they are a hundred pounds each," she declares confidently, her eyes glinting with defiance.

"A hundred pounds per doll?" I grin, crouching down to examine the dreary collection of Barbie dolls that had clearly been through the mill.

"No, one pound each," an older woman chuckles from behind the girl, pushing her silver hair behind her ears. "She's not quite grasped the value of money just yet, have you Immi?"

The little girl frowns, stroking the hair of one doll. She lifts her striking eyes up to mine and sighs heavily.

"They have been all around the world, they're well travelled," she points out, before tilting her head. "Do you like dolls? I love these."

"I used to, yes," I smile, lifting myself up. "If you love them, keep them."

A smile plays at the girl's lips, but then she drops her gaze to the floor.

"Mummy said I'm too big for dolls now."

I exchange a look with the woman beside her, and she smiles at the girl sympathetically. She pats her on the head, before turning back to the car.

"Never mind your mother, they are yours," she huffs, and I nod in agreement.

"Aren't you a little old for Barbies?"

I turn to see Lauren by my side, peering over my shoulder.

"Ha, yes. I guess I am."

I wave goodbye to the little girl who smiles, and I pause, digging into my pocket for a couple of pounds. I hand them to the little girl who gasps with delight.