52: Facing Fears

Krishnaa slowly stood up

Krishnaa slowly stood up. Her leg was better now. It was still hurting, but was much bearable.
She winced slightly as she put pressure on her injured leg.
She picked up her things and began to move forward, navigating the maze.

It was confusing, but she was managing.
She continued to find her way, taking very short breaks for food and rest.
She had lost sense of time. She had no clue as to how long she had been here.
Hours? Days? Weeks? She would never know.
As she continued to navigate her way, she heard a gut wrenching scream.
She froze. The scream. It was familiar. And it didn't stop there. They were starting to get more frequent now.
It was Parth's voice. He is here? She didn't get time to think, the screams grew louder.
Was he in pain?
Krishnaa followed the screams, her mind blocking everything else. She couldn't think rationally as she ran.

She ran up a slope, not knowing where it went, only knowing that it would lead her to Parth.
After running for awhile, she stopped as she saw a silhouette of a man, a few fet away from her.
The man turned around. Parth.

He looked pale and tired. His clothes were torn and covered in dirt.
His body was covered in bruises and blood.
Krishnaa's heart stopped as she looked at Parth. She noticed tears in his eyes. Before she knew it, it collapsed on the ground.

Without a second thought, Krishnaa ran to him.
She sat down beside him and lifted his head, placing it on her lap.
"Parth", she whispered in a chocked voice, gently patting his face. "Parth hat happened?"
'No. This can't be happening.'
She can't bear anything happening to him. She can't imagine living without him.

Parth's eyes fluttered open. "Krishnaa", he whispered her name in a strained voice.
"Shh", she shushed him.
"Don't talk. You will be alright. I will get you out of here", she said, trying to convince herself more than him.
Parth looked at her sadly and shook his head. "It is too late Krishnaa", he spoke and started coughing.

Tears streamed down her face. No. This can't be true. She cannot lose him.
"Don't say that", her voice quivered. "You will be okay."
Parth gave her a sad smile before closing his eyes.
Krishnaa started sobbing, her shoulders shaking violently. This cannot be happening.

The feeling of grief settled in. The realization that Parth was no more, was painful.
She didn't want to live. There was nothing worth living for, nothing worth fighting for.
She covered her face with her palms, unable to bear the sight in front of her.

Suddenly, she saw Parth's body disappear. Illusion. She sighed in relief. It was just an illusion, but it felt so real.
She looked around and realized that she was lost. The illusion was an obstacle. And she didn't know how to proceed.

Shaken and emotionally drained, she slumped against the wall and shut her eyes, tears still streaming down her face.
She felt exhausted and hopeless. She felt alone.
All she wanted to do was to go back home. She wanted to cry on her brother's shoulder, lay in Parth's arms.
But that wasn't possible, she had a mission to complete.

She buried her face in her knees, trying her best not to give up.
Suddenly, she felt a hand stroking her back. She raised her head and her eyes widened in disbelief.
"Ma", she whispered. It was her mother. Just as she remembered her. Kind, warm eyes, a soft smile and a calm expression.

There was something different though. She was glowing. Like a phantom. She smiled at her mother, tears in her eyes.
She embraced her mother, feeling safe.
"Ma", her voice trembled. "I miss you so much. Why did you leave me? I really need you?"
She stared sobbing again, but her mother smiled at her. She leaned forward and kissed her daughter's forehead.

"I am always with you putri", she consoled her. "I never left. And I came back for you."
Krishnaa gave her a soft smile. She was aware that this was an illusion as well, but she didn't mind. She got to see her mother and that's all she wants.

"I believe in you putri", her mother continued. "You are so strong and brave. I am proud of you."
"I am not brave ma", she whimpered. "I am scared."
Her mother shook her head. "You are brave, dear", she spoke with a tone of finality. "You are willing to fight for others, putting yourself in danger."
Krishnaa nodded.
"You can't give up now. There are people who need you. You have to fight", she paused. "For Indraprasth. For your Bhrata. For Parth."

Her words gave Krishnaa the strength she needed. Her ma is right. She cannot give up now. She has come so far. She is so close to her goal.
She wiped her tears and smiled confidently. A newfound energy pulsated through her.
"Yes ma", she agreed. "You are right. I can't give up now. I won't."

She looked at her mother to her heart's content, one last time, before she dissapeared, a small smile on her face.

***********************
So, I realized that I had not written much about Krishnaa's mother and her relationship with her,  so here is a glimpse.