22

Tori|

When my phone erupts into song and dance in my lap, I nearly drive onto the sidewalk trying to answer it. Without checking the screen, I press the phone to my ear and cradle it against my shoulder so both of my hands can return to the wheel. Like the responsible adult I am.

"Yellow?"

"Must you answer the phone with colors?"

I grin despite myself. Navigating carefully through the streets that eventually wind to my house, I reply, "Well, you know, Jade is a color. I could just say that from now on."

I can feel the smile in her voice when she says, "I like that."

Laughing, I cradle the phone against my ear. It's Thursday, the week nearly over, and I can't say I'm not happy about that. School has been more exhausting than usual; I've had to answer the question are you really dating Jade West about a dozen times daily since Monday morning. My plan had been to take it slow, but Jade is just so kissable, and once I start, it's hard to stop. Besides, it seemed much more effective than anything I could have done, anyway. Much more prompt.

It's all still very bizarre to me, the whole situation, that a month ago Jade was crying at my doorstep and now I'm taking her hand in the hallways and kissing her goodbye in the parking lot. People still stare - not because we're both girls, really, as we're not the only same-sex couple at Hollywood Arts, but because our past isn't all that far behind us. It wasn't a secret that Jade harbored a distinct dislike for me, and the fact that we could go from frenemies to this is definitely stare-worthy. I don't blame them. I'd probably be gawking, too.

The most trouble has been from Beck. My lips flicker into a frown at the reminder. I've been meaning to talk to him, to explain, but he's been avoiding both Jade and I like the plague. Jade's been taking it like a blessing, but I feel torn about it. I like Beck. He's a nice guy overall, and I didn't want to lose my friendship with him over this. It doesn't seem like he's giving me a choice though, because as soon as I'm within talking distance, he all but bolts in the other direction, taking Robbie with him. Andre's tried to get him to join us at the lunch table the past few days, but he is persistent in his refusal. It's upsetting, but I suppose I'd feel the same way if I was in his place.

"I literally saw you five minutes ago," I say, turning onto my street as I shift the phone to my other hand. "What could have possibly happened between now and then to warrant a call?"

"I hate you too," she clips. "I guess I'll just see you tomorrow -"

"Hey! I was kidding!" Laughing, I swing into my driveway and turn the car off, opening the door but not getting out. "Just wanted to hear my beautiful voice, is that it?"

Jade chuckles. "Sure, Vega. Actually, I wanted to make sure you weren't busy Saturday. Cat was thinking of getting some friends together and meeting up at the Karaoke Dokie."

"Say Dokie again."

"No."

I huff dramatically, finally prying myself free of my car and shutting it with my foot. I make my way toward the front door, wedging it open with my shoulder. "I'm not busy. I'd love to go." I look into my living room. Trina is watching me from the couch with a particularly nasty look. I pause for a moment, checking my face with my hand to make sure there wasn't a bug on it or something. Feeling no abnormalities, I give my sister a questioning look as I drop my backpack by the stairs. "Who's driving?"

"I will. It'll probably be just Cat and Andre and some girl he likes, since Robbie seems attached to Beck's hip, and there's no way he's going."

Frowning, I make my way to the kitchen. I'm a firm believe in being friends with one's exes, having a few of them myself, and considering how long Jade and Beck were together, I think it's a shame that things don't seem to be settling down for them at all. They obviously had things in common and got along for the most part. It seems like a waste. "I feel like that's mostly my fault," I say bitterly, glancing at Trina again to find that she's twisted over the back of the couch, glaring at me. I mouth 'what' at her only to get more staring, so I roll my eyes and rip open the fridge.