25

|Jade|

The Karaoke Dokie closes at a respectable 9PM - because it is for high schoolers after all, and we're not quite at the age where partying all night is acceptable, despite the fact that the kids simply go somewhere else and continue their partying there. The group and I stay until the employees are practically shoving us out of the doors. Tori and Cat did another song, even Andre, but we spent most of the time dancing and eating buffalo wings and drinking far too much soda. For coming off as such a pristine, innocent little flower, Tori dances like a damn devil - not that I'm complaining. I've come to enjoy her oddly erotic dance skills. I should have suspected it, though - it must be the Hispanic in her, because she has some salsa hips.

Thinking of her like that is still new for me - not as an enemy, not as a friend, not as a close friend, but as my girlfriend, as someone I kiss and touch and flirt with and someone who, like, turns me on. And stuff. It's weird. Not unwelcome, but weird nonetheless.

When we're outside, Tori bounces back to the doors and begs to use the bathroom, even touching her knees together and giving a little bounce to convince the security guard to unlock the building and let her back in. Sighing, he yanks the door open and ushers her inside. Screaming that she'll be right back, she smiles at me before disappearing, leaving me alone - well, with a bunch of people I mildly tolerate and Tori's sister, so, yeah, alone. My boots click on the blacktop as I make my way to the car. With the sun gone, the sky is a deep shade of indigo, starless - the abundance of lights completely drown them out, but the moon is a tuft of white in the distance.

Clumped behind me is Andre, Cat, Robbie, Trina, and Beck - who has done little more than pout since Tori and I showed up, but didn't dampen our good time. As much as I want to be friends with him, and I really do, I can't even let my eyes sit on him for too long without my chest getting heavy. You'd think that after a month and finding yourself in a relationship with someone else would at least bandage the wounds of a breakup, but three years of loving someone doesn't just go away. I cross my arms tightly over my chest and close my eyes, letting my hip rest against the car door. I hate myself for letting it still get to me like this when it happened so long ago, especially after everything that's happened since then. Tori, namely, who has been my beacon of light through all of this, and has trusted herself with me. I trust her more than anyone - more than I ever did Beck, which is saying something, and means something. So why can't I just get over him already?

A scuttle of heels behind me alarms me of someone approaching, so I compose myself and turn. Trina is strutting ahead of the group, eyes set on me like a lioness about to pounce, and I narrow my gaze back at her challengingly. I understand that dating Tori is a full package deal - I have to put with Trina, despite knowing that she's a big-headed, egotistical chump. I still don't have to like it, though.

"Hey," Trina says as she comes to my side. The rest of my friends gather on the other side of the car, saying goodbyes, as it looks like Robbie and Beck are taking their leave now instead of waiting for Tori. No surprise there. Beck looks over at me for an instant before turning his back to me and walking off. I shake my head and return my focus to Trina.

I give her a push of my lips - my way of smiling without having to commit to any real feelings - and dip my head forward in acknowledgement. I don't say anything because I don't have anything to say, and filling the space between us with empty words would feel a lot worse on my part than just ignoring her altogether. Trina seems to have a plan, however, and dismisses my nonverbal dismissal with putting her hands on her hips and jutting her face out.

"So. You're dating my sister." Trina's eyes are narrowed so far I can't see her eyes, and her expression is so grave and serious I almost laugh right into her face.