In Which Baze and Chirrut Help a Young Bodhi

AN: I know that the guardians would have been thrown out by this time, but let's pretend.

"Chirrut! I told you not to eat all the sweets," Baze called to his partner. Chirrut put down the small cake he had taken a bite out of.

"Sorry Baze, I just couldn't see the difference," Chirrut replied, chuckling at his joke. Baze groaned at him.

"You aren't funny you know that?"

"Really?" Chirrut said, amused. "Why?"

"Cause I've heard it a thousand times. How do you not get tired of the same punchline?" Chirrut stroked his chin.

"Cause I like it."

"Well I don't," Baze grunted.

They sat together just enjoying each other's company. When Chirrut  picked the cake back up and took a bite, Baze didn't stop him. Chirrut smiled at his small victory and continued to eat.

The streets outside the temple were crowded, the moving people acting as the running water and the street the stream. But inside, it was peaceful. Everyone who entered instantly felt a calm wash over them.

A young man, around the age of 17, shuffled through the doorway. Chirrut noticed the boy. He stood awkwardly, trying to make himself smaller than he already was.

"Baze," Chirrut whispered.

"What."

"Do see that boy over there?" Baze turned his head to find the boy.

"Yes?"

"He does not know what to do, let's go talk to him." They both stood up and strolled over to the young man.

"Hello and welcome, what should we call you?" Chirrut asked.

"Um..uh... B-bodhi," he responded.

"Well Bodhi," Baze continued. "What can we help you with?"

"I just need some guidance...that's all." Chirrut nodded his head in understanding.

"Let's sit down to talk." Baze guided the two towards a seating area. Chirrut sat down crossing his legs in front of him while Baze just let his sprawl out.

Bodhi sat tentatively, taking up ass little space as posssible. Baze stared at him and hummed a tune while Chirrut closed his eyes to tried and concentrate. Bodhi didn't know what to do so he just fiddled with the cuffs of his sleeves.

"He always does this," Baze commented. Bodhi jumped slightly at the surprise.

"Fun," was his only response.

"Alright Bodhi," Chirrut said, now fully focused. "What is weighing on you?"

Bodhi inhaled and closed his eyes. "M-my mother and I don't have enough money. So this-this opportunity came up an-and I didn't know if I should take it or not."

"What's keeping you from it?" Baze asked gently.

"Well...it's for the empire." Baze and Chirrut both nodded their heads.

"And I really want to be a star fighter pilot, but I don't want to leave my mom behind. I'm also worried about, uh, I don't know if I should tell you this."

"Don't worry," Baze said, putting his hand out. "Everything you say will stay in here."

"Well, there is a possibility that I could get killed."

"And you don't want to die," Chirrut finished for him. "No," Bodhi agreed.

"I think you should take it," Baze said. "For your mother." Bodhi nodded, but fear showed in his eyes.

"I would let the force run it's course. Everything is as the force wills it, so whatever you chose will be the force's doing." Chirrut let his glazed eyes rest on Bodhi.

"Thank you, both of you, I think I know what to do." Bodhi got up and Baze and Chirrut followed suit.

"Be wise," Chirrut said, "even if they say you are too young." Bodhi nodded and walked briskly out the door.

"I hope he chooses the right path," Chirrut commented.

"Yeah me too." Baze held out his arm for Chirrut and he grabbed on, earning a broad smile from his partner.

"You're smiling aren't you?" Chirrut asked, a grin creeping onto his own face.

"I'm happy," Baze stated plainly.

"Well I'm happy you're happy." Chirrut paused. "We should have celebration!"

"Chirrut, no," Baze pleaded.

"I'm only joking, I wouldn't be able to decorate. The color scheme would be way off."

"Really Chirrut?" Baze grumbled as Chirrut smiled to himself. Even though Chirrut's jokes drove him crazy, Baze still adored that he could be so nonchalant about his disability. The thought caused him to smile once more and Chirrut sensed it.

"Did you finally laugh at my joke?"

"No, just thinking about how much I love you." He kissed the top of Chirrut's head and Chirrut laughed.