In Which Baze and Jyn are Pirates Looking for Treasure

The Sea is a wild thing. It slaps against rocks and turns over ships. And it contains some of the most terrifying creatures ever imaginable.

Baze sailed on its waters for most of his life and maintained the credo that no such creatures were lurking beneath the surface.

"Baze," a crewmate calls. Baze turns to his friend.

"What is it, little sister?"

"We're reaching the ruins," Jyn says. "The captain's been real fussy about it, it being the home of sirens and all."

"I think that's a bunch of crap," Baze says. He takes a breath from his cigar and passes it to Jyn.

"You don't believe in anything superstitious so that doesn't count." Jyn takes a puff and hands it back to Baze.

"I've been to the ruins more'n once without seeing a single siren so I think that counts for something."

"Would you bet on it?" Jyn asks. Baze doesn't answer and instead lets a cloud of smoke escape his mouth.

"Then it doesn't count," she says. She walks off and Baze laughs a bit. Truthfully, Baze is more nervous than any of the crewmembers. Even more than Pao, who has a talisman for everything.

"To yer stations!" calls the first mate. Baze walks over to the rigging, pulling ropes and tying them down.

"There be booty in these ruins, let's get them smartly!"

A chorus of 'Aye!'s ring from the crew. Baze feels his stomach churn. But not from seasickness.

The fog parts, showing the stone and wood sticking out between waves. Pirates never explained anything correctly. Many pictured the ruins as a drowned Roman temple, but it's much eerier.

Tattered pieces of sails blow gently on jagged stuck up ship masts. It's a sandbar, a dangerous one.

"Where's the stone?" a crewmate calls. Baze takes a puff of his cigar.

"It's coming."

The ship cuts through the fog showing chimneys from stone houses. The crew looks confused and scared at the ruins.

"It was the work of sirens," Pao says.

"No, "Jyn disagrees. "A hurricane."

Other pirates scowl and Jyn growls back at them. Baze puts a hand on her shoulder and she turns away from them.

"This will be quick lads, we don't want sirens taking any crew," the captain says. "Jyn and Baze you go get it, we'll send someone else if you don't come back up alive." He gives a forced smile and the crew laughs nervously along with him.

Jyn takes a breath, closing her eyes, and counting. Baze knows that she's trying not to bite back at the captain for sending them down. 

They get thrown a rope and climb their way down the ship. The water is cold against Baze's feet but he welcomes the cold and pushes down the primal urge to dive immediately down. Jyn swings down to join him and splashes him as she lands.

"Now, where would a treasure be hiding?" she asks. Baze shrugs.

"Best if we don't try looking at all."

Jyn turns to him, a confused look strewn across her face. A smile spreads.

"You are afraid," she points out smugly. "I knew it all along."

Baze rolls his eyes and wades through the water towards the crippling exterior of a house. Jyn follows him with a content look on her face. They both begin kicking at rocks and picking them up to inspect them.

The deep water just a few feet from Baze calls to him and Baze clenches his fists in frustration and goes back to searching in the deteriorating house. Mist settles over the sandbar, obscuring the ship.

"We'll be fine," Jyn calls out. But Baze can't see her and he knows exactly what's happening. He heaves a sigh and steps out of the house. The dark blue beckons him down and Baze has no choice but to follow its instruction.

He swims down as far as he can, wincing as the transformation completes. His legs have fused and a long burgundy tail follows his torso. His grungy hair is combed out by the Sea as she untangles each knot the farther he swims down.

His vision acclimates to the darker deep of the ocean and it stretches out for miles, giving him a sense of comfort. Not a thing in sight. Just him and the Sea.

The call had been too strong for a usual day at sea, he knew exactly who had. Chirrut.

"Welcome back old friend," Chirrut greets. He is resting on a rock, his black and red tail swishing slowly.

"Hard to resist an offer from you," Baze answers, coming up to Chirrut. Chirrut smiles and Baze can see his white eyes from beneath his lids.

"I missed you," he confesses. Baze smiles and kisses the top of his head.

"Hey, I'm the one who's supposed to kiss you!" Baze laughs heartily.

"Come back up with me, you can give me kisses every day."

"Ha," Chirrut exclaims. "And not bathe?"

"What?"

"Every time I meet with you when you're human you stink."

"You can bathe every day," Baze says.

"Maybe I'll never stop," Chirrut states.

Baze stares at Chirrut, challenging him and, realizing that Chirrut cant tell, looks down. Chirrut's hand finds itself on the side of Baze's face and pulls him in for a kiss.

Even after all that they've been through, Baze still finds a special solace in moments such as these.

"Now you go back up and enjoy the life you've made."

"The treasure?" Baze asks. Chirrut pats a small box beside him.

"Love you, be safe," Baze farewells.

"I love you too, have fun."