CHAPTER TWO

Each day holds a surprise. But only if we expect it can we see, hear or feel it when it comes to us.
- Henri Nouwen

After attending to my first patient for the day, I flexed my shoulders and took a deep breath. She was a patient who came for a general ante natal check up and ultrasound. I was glad that all was well. For some strange reason, 'morning' showed the day for my shifts. If I started with an emergency case, the whole shift was generally hectic.

I sat in my office, right beside the consultation room where I attended to patients. I drew the pastel blue curtains aside and gentle rays of sunshine peeked through. The mild, fresh lemon scented air freshener mingled with the odor of disinfectant and the matching pastel blue walls were bare, except for two health care charts and a square, golden wall clock.

Looking at the wall clock, I noticed it was eight a.m. Mr Olatunde, punctual as usual, pressed my door bell. I asked him to come in and he walked in smiling.

"Dr Damilola Amarachi Oyelowo, my daughter, how are you today?"

"Fine, thank you sir. How was your trip? Hope everyone is fine."

"My dear all is well, thank God. Honey went to Ibadan to spend time with our daughter and grandkids. Our daughter recently gave birth to twins. A boy and a girl."

"Oh, that's lovely sir! Extend my regards to her. So, how may I help you sir?"

Let me guess, just a general check up, thank you my dear.

"Just a general check up, thank you my dear."

I thought as much.

"I also want to invite you to my wife's sixty-fifth birthday party. My wife asked me to give you this invitation card." He gave me a finely decorated yellow envelope and smiled again. "I hope you will be able to attend. Honey said she will give you a call this evening."

"Sir, I appreciate the invitation, but my attendance depends on whether or not I am on duty that day."

"My dear, relax. I am sure Segun will excuse you for at least two hours."

I wasn't surprised, of course Dr. Olusegun Mark Jibowu (OMJ) the MD/CEO of Valley View Hospital, was his friend.

"I'll see what I can do sir."

Shortly after Mr Davies arrival, his blood and urine samples were taken and sent to the lab. I checked his temperature, blood pressure and weight, which turned out to be fine as usual, while he waited for his results.

When his lab test result sheet was forwarded to me, I carefully went through each detail and discovered that he had malaria.

"Sir, you have malaria. I will prescribe-"

Before I could complete my statement, he slowly leaned back in his chair.

"My dear, I feel tired."

"Daddy, by God's grace you will be okay. I will start your treatment immediately. I would like to monitor you, at least for today. You will need bed rest."

"Please call my son. I want to see him."

I must admit, when he made that statement, I was concerned. My profession demanded that I keep cool at all times, but I cared about him. He was a stubborn patient but I had to admit that he was a good man and I had nothing but best wishes for him. He was like a father to me and I felt a little guilty for finding him annoying all along.

My plain, business as usual look was on my face, as I silently prayed he would be okay. Malaria usually presented symptoms like fever, headaches and nausea which could be gone in a matter of days if treated properly. Sadly, I had witnessed malaria causalities too.

He gave me his son's contact details and I promised him that I would get in touch with him immediately. I arranged for him to be taken to the male ward after giving him initial treatment and used my office phone to call his son as he asked me to.

"Good morning, Mr Davies. This is Dr Oyelowo, calling from Valley View Hospital, Ikeja. Kindly come to the hospital as soon as possible. Your father has been admitted after a malaria diagnosis. The attention of a next of kin is advisable since he is elderly."

Silence

and

more

silence

"Hello? Can you hear me sir?"

He cleared his throat and grunted to show his annoyance at being disturbed.

Are you serious right now? Your elderly father is in hospital and you are annoyed that I contacted you? If you were not contacted promptly, you would be quick to sue the management and me and before you know it, I would be food for bloggers! I thought.

When he finally spoke, his response added more 'humour' to what was already turning out to be a 'colourful' day.

A/N

Some readers have expressed surprise at how Damilola called Mr. Davies, 'daddy'. Kindly note that it is the Yoruba cultural norm, to refer to man old enough to be your father as 'father or daddy'. Anyone old enough to be your uncle, aunty, or mother are also referred to as such, without any immoral connotations.

 Anyone old enough to be your uncle, aunty, or mother are also referred to as such, without any immoral connotations