CHAPTER THREE

"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love"
-Ephesians 4:2

"Kilode bayii?" What is the matter? Chief Davies has started again with his drama. Kilo tun se Baba yen? What is wrong with that old man now? If this call isn't about business, then I don't want to hear it, and for your information it's Dr. Davies."

Okay "Pardon me sir." I was struggling to control my urge to laugh at his frustration with his annoying dad and ridiculous preoccupation with his title.

"Do you know how busy I am? I am running multimillion dollar ICT and fintech companies!"

So what? You are not the first or last. "Pardon me sir, I have an appointment. If you need further information, kindly come to the hospital. Thank you and have a nice day."

I ended the call and huffed. What an arrogant nuisance! It was very important for medical staff to not allow people with such an attitude to discourage them from getting in touch with a patient's next of kin if it was necessary.

Some people would be so grateful for getting prompt information about their loved ones, others wouldn't. No matter what, my parents brought me up with the principle, do your best and leave the rest.

He wasn't the first person to react that way so I shrugged it off and continued attending to other patients. It was a busy day but everything was under control.

Dr Emeka Ejiofor, a senior medical officer, popped in at around one o'clock in the afternoon. "Dr. Oyelowo, how is everything? Have you had any serious or A & E cases today?"

"No sir, all has been well so far. There was a patient rushed in with a gastrointestinal issue, but he's responding to treatment. Thanks for checking."

He nodded and smiled. Dr. Ejiofor gave me some words of advice, and we exchanged a few brief pleasantries. We went for lunch shortly afterwards at the hospital cafeteria.

We sat in a comfortable silence as we ate rice and beef stew. I was really lucky to have a senior colleague who had my back. He was a unique looking man, he appeared to have albino genes but he did not possess the dominant albino genes. He was an average height man with blonde hair and freckled skin.

He seemed like a really nice person and considering that he was hardworking, well organized and brilliant, he would probably be a great medical director someday.

I noticed that he looked at me with warmth in his eyes, but he said nothing and neither did I.
Halfway through our meal, I got a call from the reception and a few seconds afterwards, Dr. Ejiofor got a call for an emergency C-section operation.

We rushed our fruit juice and hurried back to our respective duty posts, walking side by side into the ground floor/ reception area. Dr Ejiofor and I parted ways as he went to the maternity ward and I was stopped on the way to my office.

A tall, handsome man with a slim but muscular build, checked his gold wristwatch and walked towards me. He was in a navy suit and sky blue, corporate shirt that fit him and his golden complexion perfectly. He walked with confidence, or arrogance? and mentally I put two and two together.

This is probably Demola 'Doctor' Davies. I thought, resisting the urge to bite my lip.

He was absolutely gorgeous. I allowed myself to have a brief moment to appreciate how strikingly good looking he was. After the quick admiration, I kept a straight face.

"Good afternoon, how may I help you sir?"

Mr Ighodaro called out to me at that moment. "Dr Oyelowo, that is Dr. Demola Davies. I called you because he wanted to see you."