The Church

Romans 7:5 For when we were living by what we could perceive and understand with our mind which deals with the flesh, sin's strong emotions and passions, caused by means of the law which deals with our flesh, were at work in every aspect of our mind and conscious being, unto the end of producing results which benefit only death.
•••

A rustling could be heard in Dan's room accompanied by groaning.

Dan gripped his blanket tightly. He was still asleep, but he was having a nightmare.

'No! Get away you monster!'

Dan held the man by his throat his claws digging into the man's carotid artery.

'Lily, run!'

The girl stared wide-eyed unable to move. She was staring at him-the monster.

Dan crushed the man's windpipe and tore him to pieces.

The girl's scream erupted through the alleyway.

Red eyes stared at her, he shifted towards her.

Human rationality and basal bestial instinct both fought for dominance.

Hunger won...

•••
Dan woke up with a start, breathing heavily. His body was covered in perspiration and his entire body shook.

His hair stuck to his forehead and he was desperately trying to keep himself from hyperventilating.

Dan wrapped his arms around himself burying his face in his raised knees.

Tears slipped from his eyes.

'Her name had been Lily...'

Dan bit his lip.

It was night and his entire room was shrouded in darkness-just like his heart.

"I hate myself, " he said in a quiet tone.

A cold breeze wafted into the room.

"Someone, anyone...please save me, " he whispered.

Dan tightened his arms around himself.

He heard wailing in the distance, it's echo sounded disembodied.

Dan slowly got out of bed. He was wearing a sweatshirt and loose sweatpants.

He slowly made his way downstairs. The entire house was dark but he had no problem manoeuvring himself.

He made his way to the door, but surprisingly it was already open.

Dan's jaw clenched.

He stepped outside and his eyes widened when he saw Peace.

The white cloak Peace wore stood out in the night.

Dan sat down quietly beside Peace neither of them saying anything for a long while.

Dan looked up. He saw the stars—they were so beautiful.

He could see Orion's belt.

He'd always thought those three stars to be Lily and he was the four other stars that surrounded her, protecting her.

But he'd even failed at that.

"I've never seen a human's heart so troubled, " Peace said quietly, referring to Dan.