Chapter Eight

"Who the fuck're you?" Trudy stood.

Pinkish-blue kaleidoscope eyes flit briefly to her, then back to Elle. "Do you have anything to say for yourself?"

Barely contained, Elle asked, "Why're you here, brother?"

Blue Fairy shook his head. "You truly are clueless."

"Hey, Blue Boy! Why're you here?" Trudy said, advancing.

"I would think you grateful for a friendly face after what she's put you through."

Blue Fairy's tone itched Trudy in an unnamable spot. Her fists balled as she moved forward. "You the one hurting her?"

Blue Fairy lazily raised a hand in front of him. The elegant fingers long and thin stopped Trudy in her tracks. The manicured nail tips painted a bright red to match his armored half-dress. "Were I you, I'd be a little more appreciative towards anyone looking out for me."

Head cooked in curiosity, Trudy asked, "Say that again?"

"She doesn't know, does she sister?" Blue fairy asked disappointed. He unfolded from the couch. High-heeled, red stiletto boots carried his lanky form to Elle in three gliding strides. The smug stare he directed down at her countered the gentle way his hand fell on her shoulder. "I want you to succeed."

"Do you really?" Eyes narrowed, Elle shrugged off his hand.

Voice pitched higher, he said, "You wound me, sister!"

"Blue Boy," Trudy said, poking him on the crimson fishnet-covered shoulder.

He turned, graceful hand on his chest, and fingers spread wide. "Yes, little one?"

"Yeah, don't call me that. What's going on? Are you Jackson's fairy-person thing like the dark fairy?"

A confused look settled on Blue Fairy's sharp-featured face. "What did you call me?"

"What the fuck is so hard about answering a simple question?" She stood a little taller, practically bumping her ample chest into his bony one. Her fierce stare pierced into his exotic eyes, daring him to do anything other than answer her.

"She's a fiery one—I forgot how positively adorable you are when you're angry!"

Elle scoffed. "You call it adorable. I call it a pain in my ass."

Trudy stumbled back a step. "What d'you just say?"

"You're a pain in my ass."

"You forgot how I am when I'm angry?"

"She's speaking to me," Blue Fairy chimed in.

Elle rolled her eyes.

"I don't understand why you act this way, sister. Father gave her to you because she's easy. How can you mess this up?"

"You're kidding, right?"

Blue turned. "How often have you witnessed me 'kidding'?"

Trudy tuned them out. She took unsteady steps to the couch and sat. These fairies knew her. A shiver ran through her. Did they watch her 24/7? Images of her masturbating while the fairies watched flashed in her mind. She ran her fingers through her curly hair until they tangled within. She tried to wrap her brain around the fact that they knew her life in detail, yet she knew nothing about them or their world.

"Are we jokes to you?" she whispered.

Mid-sentence, Blue Fairy turned to Trudy. "You're not a joke. You're our darlings." His words should have sounded sincere, but his tone bordered on patronizing.

"You interfere in our lives. You watch us. Manipulate us. That's how you treat your 'darlings'?"

Blue Fairy shot a scathing look back at Elle as he sauntered to Trudy. "Our duty is not to manipulate or interfere, little one. We gently guide and counsel."

Towering over her, smug expression planted on his face, his presence pressed down on Trudy, heightening her anger. The words that poured out of his mouth, however, tipped the scales. Trudy sprang up and shoved at Blue Fairy.

Fairy dust plumed as he stumbled from the unexpected movement.

Rage filled, Trudy clenched trembling fists at her side. "You fucking treat us like playthings and think it's your 'duty?' Condescending dick!" She snorted as dust landed on her nose. She sneezed, creating a small puff of light in front of her face.

Blue Fairy recovered as gracefully as a feline tossed out of a window. His features momentarily contorted before the composed facade reappeared. "You are out of line, little one."

"Fuck you, dickbag!"

"See?" Elle gestured wildly toward Trudy.

"Fuck you too, Elle! None of you legit give a fuck about us. You manipulate. You fucking watch us like pervs. You think we're beneath you like you're so fucking special or some bullshit like that. Do you see this man right here?" She pointed to Jackson. "I fucking love the shit out of that motherfucker, and you don't give two shits about that. You have some lame-ass mission or what-the-fuck-ever you need to complete and you just want to be done with me when my fucking whole fucking life is about how much I fucking need him!"

The fairies stayed silent. Watching.

Trudy's shoulders slumped as the tension left, leaving her hallow. I've been selfish. "I fucking hate you."

Blue Fairy strode to her to put his strong hand on her shoulder. "I know you would give Jackson the world if you could."

She looked up to compassionate eyes. Struck by their ethereal beauty, she saw for the first time the aesthetic style of Blue Fairy. Her anger ebbed with each second. She finally tore her gaze from him as tears flowed. "You don't know shit about me."

"I know the important details."

"I'm done with this shit." She turned to Jackson and Melody. "Tell me, do Jackson and her make it? Are they happy together?"

Blue Fairy's silky voice answered, "They are indeed quite happy. In a few years, they adopt a young boy."

Calm surrounded her for the first time in a long time. Trudy smiled, wiping her tears.

Elle's screeches infiltrated the moment. "Hey! This isn't your Pathing!"

"Shut up already, Elle!" Trudy snapped. "I'm done. I'm not taking it back. Jackson's better off without me. He deserves better. He deserves—her." She couldn't bring herself to say Melody's name.

"You made the right decision, little one."

"No! No, she didn't !" Elle pushed Blue Fairy out of the way. "Y-you said you need him! You need Jackson. Why would you let him go?" Her eyes flashed wild—desperate. The dried blood on her face heightened the batshit crazy effect. "Choose him!"

A sensation of air sucked from the room followed by immense pressure as air rushed back slammed Trudy. Dizzy, she fought nausea as it roiled her stomach. The roar in her ears of her rapid pulse drowned out all. The floor rushed up to meet her. She vaguely registered her head hitting the carpet. Through the ringing in her ears, another voice registered—a deep commanding resonance.

"Why must you fail me again, daughter!"