Prologue

Four dragons sat in the darkness.

A dark teal SeaWing, barely seven years old. A small orange SkyWing, who held herself like a royal. A huge lemon-yellow and onyx-black HiveWing, with completely black eyes. And a hulking shape that towered over them all - a NightWing/IceWing, with silver teardrop scales next to each of his eyes.

Water lapped at their claws, however they didn't sink under its dark, cold surface. Instead they sat on it as though it was solid ground. The landscape around them was completely black - fog floated around through the void, obscuring anything more than a few wing-lengths away. However the fog parted around the four dragons, allowing their eyes to shine in the darkness; dark silver, bright yellow, completely black, and sapphire blue. 

Suddenly the SeaWing spoke. 

"This is ridiculous," she muttered, folding her pale green wings against her sides. 

"Indeed," commented the SkyWing, turning the black, melted side of her face away from the others and curling her claws in with a soft growl, malicious yellow eyes glaring at the dragons around her. "Not nearly as thrilling as I hoped this would be."

"You all know we needed to decide on this together," the NightWing hybrid grumbled, his silver teardrop scales behind his eyes glittering like diamonds. 

"Let's just get this over with," the HiveWing hissed, sliding stingers in and out of her claws. "We all know Orca would've just chosen her insane many-greats grandfather, and his twisted little animus from that insipid hybrid island." Wasp let out a growl as her movement caused the water beneath their talons to move again, sending ripples cascading over the surrounding dragons' talons. 

"And Darkstalker would've chosen his girlfriend," Scarlet yawned, stretching her enormous crimson wings. "Which is against the rules, as you all clearly stated. Our fifth member has to be alive. Preferably someone no one would suspect."

"Enough arguing," Orca said suddenly, flashing the royal patterns under her wings. "Queen Scarlet, Queen Wasp, King Darkstalker. Our guest has arrived."

"I still feel like Burn would've been fine. She's been dead for less than six years," Scarlet began, but Darkstalker splashed some water at her with his tail, and she instantly snapped her mouth shut, smoke starting to pour from her nose and twist around her horns. 

"Ladies," a voice said, and a pair of onyx eyes appeared in the darkness. "Gentledragon," he quickly amended, glancing up at Darkstalker's gigantic form. Pale yellow scales came into view, striped with black diamonds that marched down the dragon's spine. A deadly tail was curled up safely behind the SandWing. "I am quite honored that you somehow chose me, of all dragons-" this was followed up with a small chuckle before continuing, "-to have the privilege of joining your esteemed council."

"Enough with the formalities," Wasp growled, but she allowed herself the smallest of smiles anyways - she hadn't been treated like royalty in a while, since technically she was surrounded by equals - another queen, a princess, a king. And now a prince.

"No one suspects you," Orca explained. "You aren't suspicious enough to attract too much attention to yourself. Even if Thorn doesn't exactly trust you."

"Thorn in your side, more like," Scarlet laughed at this pun, but quickly regained her composure. 

"Anyways," Wasp continued, glaring at the SkyWing queen, "welcome to the council, Prince Smolder of the SandWings."

A/N: Hey, don't look at me like that!! You know fully well I couldn't let all this perfectly good evil go to waste! Besides, I want Scarlet to die a much more painful, bloody, thrilling death than getting her neck snapped, and this way, we have a second chance to do just that!
As for Smolder, it's exactly as Orca said; "No one suspects you." I just feel like Smolder would make a really good villain, if treated properly. Please don't brutally murder me for this. 
Onto my explanation for including Orca: I felt like, as a villain, she was really underrated. Think about it - had she won her duel to the death against Coral, that statue in the hatchery would still be killing the female dragonets!! Orca's plan was to pretend as though she had no idea why the eggs were being destroyed, act as though she was "utterly devastated", and she was totally unbothered by killing multiple innocent dragonets (as Hvitur said, harming a dragon egg is not something most dragons do, at the very least without feeling somewhat guilty afterwards)! Who, may I mention, were her own family.
...I'm sure you can guess why the rest of the bad ol' bois are here...

Anyways, without further ado - onto the story! I hope you enjoy,

- Gala