18

"After all of your speeches about boundaries, you come and do this?" Luke was saying as Mackenzie appeared.

"Julie? What are you doing here?" She asked, seeing an unhappy Luke and a worried Julie.

"Look, I wanted to know more about you and i didn't want to make you upset so I came here on your birthday with the boys.." Julie said with a nervous expression.

"I don't even know what I'd say to her.." Luke admitted, looking down to his toes.

"Yes you do, you already have." Julie said, pulling a note out of her pocket.

Mackenzie recognized that piece of paper. It had small stains on it, hardly noticeable. And the handwriting on it had said words like "let you go", "the words I love you.",  and "emily" filled the page.

Mackenzie finally realized that the note Julie had was Luke's copy of unsaid emily. She remembers the day he wrote that song like it was yesterday.

Flashback

(Before they were dating)
"Unsaid emily" Luke sang as he wrote in the notebook. Mackenzie was just coming in from grabbing a few things back home when she saw the broken boy.

"Luke you alright?" She asked, walking to him side.

Luke was quick to wipe his tears away, scared someone would see him as a weaker person than he is.

"I'm alright." He said, nodding his head.

Mackenzie knew the boy was lying. She would know, she's been depressed in her room for over a month. Sadness is easy for her to sense when it comes to others.

"Luke don't lie to me. You know I won't judge. Usually I'm the one being judged." Mackenzie said, trying to peek over the boys shoulder to see what he was writing.

"Kenz. I'm ok. It's just.." Luke began, trailing off as his emotions kicked in. Usually you would never see him cry. His only emotions being joy and anger.

"Lucas Patterson I'm here to listen. I don't care if it's stupid or not." Mackenzie said, trying to get Luke to spill whatever he was hiding.

"Fine." Luke said, "I wrote a song for my mom.. we aren't on good terms right now and I miss her. But it's too late, it's like they've forgotten me."

Mackenzie gave Luke a hug and felt her shirt become a little damp as his head was on her shoulder.

Mackenzie rubbed his back and said "it's alright Luke. They could never forget you. My parents however pretend I don't exist."

"Kenz I feel terrible complaining about my life when yours is 10x worse.." Luke said as he lifted his head.

Mackenzie put her hands on his cheeks with a smile and said "my life isn't what our topic is, this is about you. Once we can fix this, we worry about me ok?"

"Ok." Luke said, hugging the girl once more, just enjoying the comfort.

End of flashback

"Hi can I help you?" Mitch Patterson, Luke's dad, said as he opened the front door to see Julie.

"Hi, I believe you had a son named Luke?" Julie asked nervously, the two ghosts standing behind her, Luke was doing his best to not fall apart as Mackenzie held onto him.