Never

[Perhaps one of my favorite pieces that I've ever written. I had to watch that StateFarm commercial way too many times in order to get this perfected, but... Here it is.]

-----

Huey sat with his brothers, watching as everyone around them sat and talked with their significant others. Daisy was showing off her new ring, and Della was gushing over it excitedly-- Huey was pretty sure he saw Goldie try and take it, too, despite it being in broad daylight-- and it just seemed like a lot.

"I'm never getting married."

"Never?" Dewey asked, looking at his older brother.

"Never," Huey confirmed, "I mean, look at that. Such a hassle before the wedding even happens, and then life slows down considerably."

Louie smirked. "For a guy who's never been and swears he'll never be married, you sure have the notion of marriage pegged."

"Yeah, yeah... Whatever."

Huey sighed, pocketing the ring that he had just purchased. This was it. He was finally going to gather up the courage to ask Violet to marry him...

He just hoped that she would say yes.

Midnight grocery runs were never Huey's favorite. At the very least, though, Violet was usually there with him to endure the long, quiet half hour or so that was often spent in the lonely aisles of the grocery stores.

They held hands, debating their options of chips, as someone else came into the aisle. They didn't bother to glance up until the loud, wailing cry of a baby emerged. Huey glanced over at the newcomer and frowned. He glanced at his wife, who was warily studying the scene before them.

"We're never having kids."

She shook her head in agreement. "Definitely."

"Violet?" Huey asked, sounding concerned.

"In here!" came the return call.

He set their dinner down on the table before going to find her in the bathroom.

"Violet?" he asked again, growing even more concerned when he spotted her sitting on the floor next to the toilet.

"I'm fine," she answered before he could ask, "just..."

He sat down next to her and she smiled a little, leaning into him before pulling something out from the bin with extra toilet paper and Violet's feminine products. He raised an eyebrow, watching her. His confusion grew when she took the item and handed it to him. It had been wrapped in toilet paper to hide what it was from him.

"Just look at it."

He unwrapped the toilet paper, still looking at her as he did it. Once he had it fully unwrapped, he glanced down at it. It was a little plastic stick with a small screen-like thing on it that showed a small plus sign.

"Violet...?"

"I'm pregnant," she whispered softly, smiling a little.

Forgetting his words from several months before, Huey laughed a little, pulling her in for a hug.

Huey's brothers had just left for McDuck Manor after spending a day babysitting the twins for Huey and Violet.