05 ✧ new beginnings

"the best time to make friends is before you need them."
✧✧✧

Kira has lived her entire life high up in the mountains. Because of that, she thought the trip up the Mountains of Impossible Height would be simple, enjoyable even.

As it turns out, flying high in the air is absolutely terrifying.

She clings to Wu's shoulders for dear life as his dragon soars through the sky like a golden rocket. Her lips press tightly together in an effort to suppress a scream, and her eyes screw up against the wind rushing into her face, not daring to look down.

Ohgeezohgeezohgeezohgeezohgeez...

The only mildly comforting aspect of their flight is the scenery around them. The sun slips steadily below the horizon, dyeing the sky soft shades of orange, red, and pink. They bleed far and wide, stunning colors smeared across the canvas of the world. It makes for a gorgeous contrast with the white of the snow-capped mountains. Kira gazes at it in awe. It's a vision ripped straight from a painting or even a dream, one that takes her breath away completely.

They keep going, the air growing thinner and colder the higher they fly. Then, at long last, they burst through a thick barrier of clouds. Kira sucks in an awed breath at the sight of the building at the mountain's top. It's the grandest thing she's ever seen, with looming shingled walls, massive gates, and an open courtyard.

This must be it—the Monastery of Spinjitzu.

They touch down in the middle of the courtyard. Wu helps Kira steady herself as she dismounts the dragon, shaking her head to clear it of dizziness. Half a second later, she jumps as the creature poofs out of existence, fading away in a flurry of golden sparks. Wu chuckles with amusement.

"You'll be able to summon a dragon of your own one day," he remarks. "But, like any process, this will take time and patience. You'll discover your power and capabilities when you are ready."

Kira nods, chewing her lip slightly. Her head lifts and she stares around the open space. Painted across the walls are a series of colorful murals, detailing all of the Ninja's past adventures. She notes everything, from the Serpentine to ghost warriors, to the glowing red eyes of Lord Garmadon that send a shudder down her spine. A sudden clucking noise distracts her. She turns to see a plump brown chicken strutting across the open space, stopping to peck at the ground every once in a while.

"Cute, isn't she?" Wu grins. "I wouldn't advise getting close to her, unless you'd like to get electrocuted. She doesn't take kindly to people disturbing her."

"Oh. Noted."

They cross the courtyard, Kira speeding up with a squeak as the chicken stops and makes eye contact with her. Wu pushes the screen door aside and the two of them enter the Monastery. The aroma of tea leaves and sage greets Kira the moment she steps in—it's pleasant, almost soothing, causing her to drink it in with bliss as they walk through the halls. The peace is quickly shattered, however, by the sudden sound of pounding footsteps. Kira stiffens; it's almost like a stampede of wild animals, growing louder and louder each passing second.

"Ah, that must be my students." Wu stops and turns around. "Come, Kira, you can meet them now."

His students. As in, the Ninja. Kira swallows. The footsteps grow even louder, now accompanied by the sounds of panting and loud voices. Before she can stop herself, she ducks around the nearest corner and hides with a panicked squeak, fighting to keep herself calm. Wu gives her an odd look, but before he can say anything, someone else does.

"Oh, hey Master," a foreign voice interjects. "How are you?"

"I am fine, though I could ask you the same question," Wu replies. "You all seem frazzled. Are you just getting back from a mission?"