Chapter Eight - Relationships, Soulmates, and Flaws

"Jefferson, why do you have a problem with this?" Hamilton asked. 

"Okay, first of all, please call me Thomas. We're dating for God's sake, Alexander," Jefferson said as Hamilton nodded. "Also, that dipshit is probably the one who took my sister's virginity." Jefferson motioned to Anna.

"Actually--"

"Is he even your soulmate?" 

"No..."

"Was the person who fucked you your soulmate?"

"Hey!" Hamilton yelled. 

"No," Anna said.

"Then why the actual fuck are you doing this, Anna?" Hamilton inhaled to intervene, but Jefferson continued. "You have absolutely no reason to have sex or to be with someone who isn't your soulmate."

"Maybe I do!" Anna yelled. "You lost your virginity a couple months ago. But did Alex take it? No! No, he didn't. Why don't you give me your reason first?"

"But, Anna, I'm not with someone who isn't--"

"Thomas!" Anna said. "Stop stalling."

"Fine. I had sex with someone who wasn't my soulmate because I was trying to impress the guys on the soccer team," Jefferson sighed. "Now, give me your reason."

"I'm lonely, okay? You left me at home and the feeling of abandonment is still with me. I just want a companion, I'll even take a girlfriend." 

Hamilton expected the two siblings to hug, but instead Anna walked off and slammed the door behind her.

"So, fuck you!" Anna yelled. 

Jefferson took a deep breath and flopped onto the bed. "I'm going to bed," he muttered. Hamilton nodded and grabbed some pajamas from the closet before going to the bathroom to change into them. He walked back into the bedroom and lied next to Jefferson. 

"Good night," he said. Jefferson groaned in response. Both of their eyes were still wide open. 

"Can we kiss again?" Jefferson asked softly. Hamilton chuckled and nodded. Jefferson smiled and kissed Hamilton for the second time that night. The two melted into it, their hands traveling across each other's bodies. Hamilton tugged at Jefferson's shirt, but Jefferson stopped him.  

"What happened?" Hamilton asked, pulling away from him. 

"I don't wanna do that right now. Not yet," Jefferson frowned. Hamilton gasped and nodded, saying he understood. "But we can still kiss.." Hamilton snickered and connected his lips to Jefferson's again. 

_______________

Hamilton woke up the next day with a smile on his face. He got dressed, brushed his teeth, make some breakfast, and all with a great feeling in his stomach. He woke up Jefferson with a smile. He walked to his car with a smile. But--

"Hey, wanna carpool?" Hamilton asked. 

"Nah," Jefferson said. "I don't want the guys knowing about this. I don't really think they support." Hamilton tried keeping the smile on his face. 

"Okay! I'll see you at rehearsal, then," Hamilton said. Anna came outside as Jefferson drove away. "You ready?" Anna nodded. The decided to drive together since Anna and Jefferson weren't doing great since last night. "So, are you excited for school?" Hamilton asked, starting to drive. 

"I guess," Anna shrugged. "I mean, I get to see Samuel."

"Why are you with that boy?" Hamilton asked. "I don't mean to side with Thomas, but at least find your soulmate."

"Listen, Alex, you're lucky to have a soulmate that's in your school. Mine could be in Japan, or some nobody who's name I don't even recognize."

"Do me a favor," Hamilton sighed. "Touch every person you see in school today. Then, you can find your soulmate. If they're not in your school, then we'll figure out something else."

 Anna smiled. "Thanks," she said. Hamilton parked in the school parking lot. Anna opened the door and waved and ran inside, seeming to follow Hamilton's advice. Hamilton walked inside, too, locking his car immediately. 

"Hey, Alex!" Peggy said. "It's been a while!" The junior ran up to the senior. "I heard that Jefferson is your soulmate. How is that going?" 

"We live together.." Hamilton said, making Peggy squeal. "We had our first date last night, along with our first kiss, and, as you call it, our first 'makeout session'."

"Why is he living with you?" Peggy asked. 

"Some shit with his parents, apparently they keep fighting and are probably gonna get a divorce," Hamilton explained.

"But we live in a world where there are soulmates. So, how can that happen? Was it a non-soulmate relationship like your parents's?" 

"I'm not sure.. Thomas's sister, Anna, is in a relationship with someone who isn't her soulmate right now, so I think she would be influenced by how bad her parents's relationship turned out."

"Is there..." Peggy began. "A flaw in the system?" 

Hamilton's stomach dropped, but the first bell rang. Peggy waved and ran to her class as Hamilton did the same. 

_______________

Rehearsal time. The musical was getting harder and harder to do since the director had been out sick for a while again. 

"He's not here again?" Hamilton asked Angelica as she shook her head. Hamilton's anxiety levels raised, his thoughts going to the worst scenario as always. Angelica gave them another assignment and gave them permission to leave early. 

As everyone was grabbing their bags and re-packing their things, Aaron came in through the door. "Hey, Thomas!" he yelled. "I found my soulmate!" Aaron had his arm around Theodosia's shoulders. Jefferson smiled. "We're getting married!" 

Jefferson's jaw dropped along with everyone else's in the theater. After a second, the crowd errupted into cheers and "congratulations"'s. Jefferson grabbed Hamilton's hand and ran out. 

Anna was waiting for them in the parking lot by Hamilton's car. "Another quick rehearsal?" Jefferson grabbed Anna's wrist with his free hand and let them go when he reached his car. 

"Thomas, what's wrong?" Hamilton asked.

"We'll talk about it when we're at home, just drive."

The drive home seemed longer, and Hamilton, Anna, and Jefferson all sprinted inside with anticipation. Hamilton unlocked the apartment door and they all gathered around the living room. 

"Okay, I wanna say my thing first," Hamilton said. "Why are your parent's separating? They can't be a non-soulmate relationship, or else Anna wouldn't be with hers because then she would know how they end. Is there a flaw in the system?" 

"My thing now," Anna said. "I found my soulmate.." Hamilton and Jefferson gasped. 

"My thing," Jefferson said. "Alex, is our relationship moving too slowly? Are we supposed to get married on the spot when we find each other, or are Aaron and Theodosia crazy?" 

The three stared at each other. There was a lot to unpack.