Chapter One

Y/n's P.O.V.

Some of us go through major tragedy when we're at a young age, but if you're lucky, then tragedy only happens to you when you're older. I was nineteen when I experienced a tragedy that would affect me for the rest of my life. It seemed like any normal night, I was brushing my hair before I got into my bed. All of a sudden, I heard a loud noise coming from downstairs, at first, I thought it was the servants in the kitchen cleaning off the plates from dinner.

But then, I realized that it was almost midnight, if the servants had cleared the dinner plates, they would've gotten them done hours ago. I knew that something was up, so I grabbed a nearby fireplace poker and carefully made my way downstairs ready to attack any intruders that tried to attack me.

I carefully poked my head out into the sitting room, and I saw two men wearing all black clothing and I could see my parents, siblings, and servants all huddled up in the corner of the sitting room. "Is there anybody else in the house?" One of the men asked my father. Father looked over at me for a split second, and I could tell that he saw me poking my head out to see what was going on. "No, my eldest daughter is at the opera with a few close friends," Father lied.

One of the men turned around and I quickly hid behind a nearby curtain, and I held my breath as footsteps slowly approached the spot where I was hiding. "Get back here! I need you to watch them!" the other man hissed. The footsteps receded away from the curtains, and even though they had moved away from me, I refused to come out fearing that I would be caught and injured, or worse.

"Why are you doing this to us?" I heard my mother tearfully ask. All I heard them say was, "Your lives are finished, and you will pay for your crimes against society," Then, the sound of gunshots filled the air and I heard the horrified screams of my brothers and sisters, they were soon cut off by more gunshots. A few minutes after the first gunshots, I heard the men run out the front door.

I was still afraid to come out of my hiding spot, but then I felt a violent wave threatening to crash over me, and within seconds, I threw up. I started sobbing, and I carefully stepped out of my hiding place and looked into the sitting room at the bodies of my family. I tried not to make a sound, but knowing that my entire family had been brutally murdered, made me want to fall onto my knees and let out loud, uncontrollable sobs.

I stumbled into the sitting room and tried to gently shake my sister Eulalie awake, but there was no response. I did the same to my other siblings, Serena, Nicholas, and Frederick. When I held my dead mother in my arms, I looked down at my lap, I saw my family's blood covering the majority of my hands and nightgown like a  dark red blanket. "Why would someone do this? Why?" I asked myself as I felt salty tears fall down my cheeks.

I didn't know what I was meant to do now, my parents left no instruction on what to do when they died, all that I knew, was that I was the only survivor of the L/n family tragedy, and I was all alone...

But not for long.