Cutie and the Dork chapter 5

“Rhea are you ok?” Bri said walking towards the dorm exit with Jacob.

“Yeah, just tired. I had a driving lesson.” It wasn’t completely a lie I had had a driven lesson in my free period earlier that day. I felt bad having to lie to her though I knew she would have some good advice for me. The Christmas break is at the end of the week and I was going to miss the girls so much, it just wasn’t going to be the same.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah.” I smiled but I knew it didn't meet my eyes when she eyed me suspiciously but I just excused myself and hurried to my room. I laid on my bed looking up at the plain ceiling, I didn't have the light on and it was completely silent I soon drifted off to sleep. My alarm woke me up the next morning, I got ready for school putting on a fire truck red jumper dress and my Gucci wellingtons that the girls told me were too cute. I stepped into the hallway and the girls were stood waiting outside Brianna’s room. They stopped talking when I opened the door.

“Are you going like that?” Rachel's jaw hung open, I looked down frowning at what I was wearing.

“You look way sexy Rhea like give boys a heart attack sexy!” Brianna jumped in smiling.

“Really? Thanks!” I blushed pulling my dress straight.

“Totally, Freddie’s going to faint.”

“We're just friends Rachel. I want a date to the ball, maybe today I'll get one.” I smiled mischievously and we headed to the cafeteria to get breakfast.

“Wow! Rhea you look hot!” was all I heard from the entrance of the cafeteria to when I left I smiled in the direction of where I heard the voices. When I headed to my locker I grimaced at the sight of Callum stood searching in his locker. I went to mine and put my books in; I could feel his eyes go over my body taking in my outfit. I turned towards him but he slammed his locker closed and walked in the opposite direction.

“Good.” I whispered even though tears brimmed my eyes, I swallowed the lump in my throat and went to calculus.

The day went by too quickly, I barely had time to eat my jacket potato and salad at lunch time. Cheer practice zoomed past before I had even had chance to warm up, I even passed my driving test. I didn't feel like celebrating though. I went to the library and waited half an hour, always expecting to see Callum walk through the doors. In the end I asked the librarian to look after the papers I had made up and give them to him if he bothered to show up.

“Rhea come here!” I heard as I reached my dorm door.

“Hey Rach.” I said walking towards her.

“I've got a treat for you! I know you passed your test today!” she said seeing my puzzled look, I sighed really not in the mood for a celebration but followed her anyway.

“Congratulations!” Bri, Freddie, Daisy (brown haired girl), Jacob, Gareth, Ryan and Matthew shouted in unison. I smiled broadly, ok I did want to celebrate after all.

After eating pizza, drinking loads of soda and generally having fun we realised it was like 1am and way past bed time. I went back to my room and crashed on the bed, I was too tired to even get changed! I woke up to the alarm ringing way too soon, I groaned and was about to press snooze when I heard the frantic banging on my door. It was 8am! I had half an hour to get to school and eat breakfast!

“I'll meet you there!” I shouted through the door and ran into the shower, I dragged on a pair of skinny black jeans, my grey wool Uggs boots and a grey turtle neck jumper. After putting on only one coat of mascara and lip gloss I ran to the cafeteria. Only having time to gulp down a cup of scalding hot black coffee and a slice of toast. I just made it to my first lesson on time, and then the teacher was fifteen minutes late. I could have screamed! At least I had time to put on a bit of powder, another coat of mascara and a coat of lip gloss.

“Are you serious?!” Bri said her eyes wide with shock when I told her my ordeal of the morning at lunch.

“It was annoying but it serves me right! No late nights on school nights!” I smiled, she laughed as Rachel came over and plonked next to me looking about to burst with excitement.

“Spill!” Bri said, Rachel went into a story of Gareth wanting to take her to his parents house over Christmas. I was so happy for her but at the same time it worried me that no one had asked me to go to the ball.

“Rhea? Can I talk to you for a minute?” I turned to see Matthew looking down at me. I smiled standing up. We walked to the empty hallway next to the cafeteria.

“What's up Matt?” I smiled at him, he scrubbed his hand through his hair and looked at me with his brown eyes nervously.

 “Would you go to the dance with me?” he finally managed to force out.

“Sure.” I replied instantly.

“I mean I’d understand if you don't want to because of Freddie but he- did you say yes?“

“Yep.” I replied nodding wanting to laugh; he scooped me up in his arms and twirled me around. When he put me down we walked back to the table where the girls looked like they were going to pass out from anticipation.

“We're going to the dance together.” I said as I sat down, they started screaming Matthew looked away flushing scarlet.

“So what you going to wear?”

“I've got my dress.” I beamed.

“I'm flying to Paris to pick mine, do you want to come?” Bri asked Rachel and I, I nodded and Rachel looked at Gareth.

“I might have to take a rain check, when you planning on going?”

“The 27th we'll be back by the 29th it's a short visit.” Bri said trying to convince her Rachel nodded in agreement and smiled.

 The week flew by and I was slightly disappointed that I didn't see Callum for the rest of the week even though I kept telling myself that I didn't want to see him a part of me was hoping every time as I walked to my locker that he would be there. Even though I would never say it out loud I actually missed him. Whenever I was around him I felt so safe and protected, I don't know why but I had a comforting sense of home whenever he was next to me. I felt like I had known him longer than a month.  I was going back home to Rochester, Rachel was going to Cleveland to Gareth’s parents and Bri was going home to Montreal. I hope my parents, well my dad because my mom thinks independence is important will let me go to Paris.