Chapter 13: So...we broke into a theme park.

"Wow," Keefe sighed. Sophie had told him how she'd gone there once and how it was absolutely breathtaking, but nothing could prepare him for the stunning sight that was before him. They had appeared in front of a palace, with a base of white stone and a blue roof. There were so many towers Keefe couldn't keep track of them all, the highest one topped with gold.

"Cinderella's castle." Sophie breathed next to him. The blond boy turned to see her staring at the said castle in awe. Her face was flushed and her brown eyes sparkled in the sun. If possible, she was more beautiful than the attraction. Shut it, Keefe, he thought to himself.

Shaking his head, he looked around at the vibrant colors surrounding him. Pink, gold, purple, even a small navy dot. Keefe squinted. Why was the navy dot moving towards them? Blocking out the sun with his hand, the sky-blue eyed man realized it was actually a man dressed in a dark blue suit jogging towards them. Keefe had seen enough films to know that he was a human police officer.

"Excuse me," the officer said, panting a little bit. Keefe noticed he was wearing a black cloth mask over his mouth. "You do know masks are required in the park, correct? We don't want an outbreak."

Keefe furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. What did he mean, outbreak? Like a war? Or acne? Luckily, he was saved the embarrassment of asking by Sophie's talking.

"Oh, shoot. I'm so sorry, officer, we must have lost them while we were here. We mostly stay at home, so it's easy to forget about the mask mandate." the blonde explained surprisingly convincingly, especially considering she was a horrible liar.

The man looked at them questioningly. "And why, may I ask, did you take your mask completely off?"

"Uh..."

"To kiss," Keefe blurted out, glancing at Sophie, who had turned beet red. "We found a corner away from everyone and took off our masks to kiss." he continued, feeling his own face heat up. Oh gosh, he must've been so red right now.

The cop raised his eyebrows at them, no emotion evident in his face. "Well, good thing I'm required to bring masks around." He handed them two blue surgical masks, before turning away to continue his patrol.

Still flustered, Keefe gave a mask to Sophie and the two put them on. "So...what do you want to do now?"

                                                                                           ...

Three hours and five rides later, the c̶o̶u̶p̶l̶e̶   pair, Keefe told himself, found themselves sitting on a small bench, licking ice cream they'd stolen from an abandoned food cart and staring at the fading sunlight, a comfortable silence between them.

"So...why the masks?" Keefe asked the girl next him.

Sophie finished the last of her cone and pulled said mask over her nose before answering. "Apparently there's this virus going around. Coroner? I don't know, but it's apparently super contagious and maybe deadly. They're making people wear masks around other people so they don't spread it."

"Huh."

"Yeah."

Keefe gobble up the last of his ice cream and wiped his hands on the suit he'd forgotten to take off before going to the Forbidden Cities. After an awkward moment of silence, he spoke. "It's getting late, we should probably head back."

Sophie looked up, surprised. "Already? Jeez, time flies."

Grabbing the girls hand, Keefe held his crystal up to the light and pictured Jaden, his home. Just before the light whisked him away, he caught sight of a teal eyed man talking to their police officer. And that was all Keefe saw when he was yanked back to the elven world.

                                                                                 ...

(A/N) Ayy surprise update.

It's almost midnight where I'm at and I have to get up early tomorrow but I got sudden inspiration. I'll probably post the rest soon, but rn I'm gonna try and get some sleep. Thank you guys so much for reading and voting on this crappy book. I seriously love y'all.

~Night elves~

-Author