Chapter 14: We're not a couple

A/N: tw: minimal cursing (one word)

Sophie felt herself land on the ground with a soft thump. Groaning, she opened her eyes and squinted into the glaring sun. It looked as if she was in a meadow, with yellow and purple flowers dotting the sea of green that lie all around her. Other than that, no clues as to her whereabouts whatsoever.

"That's the last time I ever light leap with..." Sophie's heart stuttered. Oh shit. Keefe.

Sophie jumped up. Stars danced in her vision, but she hardly cared. "Keefe!" the brown-eyed girl whipped her head around, her blond hair flying through the air. "Keefe! Can you hear me?!" she yelled. "Please, please hear me."

When no reply came came, the blond did the only logical thing her desperate mind could think of. Forcing her stiff, slightly bruised body to move, she began to search the entire meadow.

                                                                            ...

Half an hour later, sweating a little bit, Sophie found Keefe. And honestly? It was worse than not knowing.

The blond boy's normally lively face had been drained of color, turning a sickly shade of white. His lips had gone almost completely translucent, and his amazing blue eyes were unfocused and devoid of life.

Sophie made herself calm down. Keefe just faded a little, that's all. He'd be okay. She opened her pockets to find her emergency limbium-free Fade Fuel. Why was she so worried? It was nothing more than a slight injury. It had happened to Fitz once, and she wasn't a complete mess. Why with Keefe?

Becoming aware that every second she spent thinking about Keefe was another second she could lose him, Sophie uncorked the small vial and poured a bit down Keefe's throat, hoping muscle memory would allow him to swallow without being conscious.

Apparently the universe didn't hate her as much as the elf thought it did, because after a few more doses, the boy's lips turned a pale pink and his eyes regained- albeit just a little- of their spark.

"Heya, Foster," Keefe chuckled weakly, "What'd I miss?"

                                                                            ...

Keefe groaned as Sophie trapped him in a bone-crushing hug that could give Biana some competition. "Foster, I need to breath," he gasped.

Sophie pushed the blond boy away, allowing her to look at him for a quick second- just to make sure he had no lasting injuries, of course- before turning away to wipe her stinging eyes.

"Hmm, don't think I didn't see you checking me out there." Keefe teased. "Foster? You okay?" He said, more concern in his voice after seeing said girl sniffling bit.

"Yeah, yeah. Just...pollen, that's all." Sophie decided not to tell him about her little episode. She didn't need him to worry about her while she worried about him.

Keefe looked at the slightly flushed elf for a second before shrugging and looking away. Said elf almost sighed in relief. Now she could fuss over the boy in peace.

"Are you hungry? Can you walk? I don't have any food, sorry,  but maybe we can find a place?"

"Foster, Foster, it's nice to be worried about, but I'm fine. I can walk, we'll be just fine. The Fade Fuel you gave did the trick."

"Okay, if you're sure." Sophie allowed herself to go out of 'frantic mode' and settle into the 'mildly worried' zone. Resisting the urge to help Keefe up, she watched as thAe boy pushed himself up and stretched a bit. Sniffing the air a bit, he grinned.