Chapter 3

HQ was on fire. I tried Lu again. Of course, it didn't work. I threw my headset on the ground, cursed, and ran into the burning building. The fire in the warehouse store was spreading. I hurried toward the back and past JJ on the way. I spun around. "Hey, JJ, what happened?" She didn't stop. "Where you going? Help me get—" it was useless. She was already out the door. I grunted and made the rest of the way to the elevator. Smoke poured from the shaft, but I hopped on. The elevator was the only way in and out. It creaked but made it to the bottom. I rushed into the common area. Fire was everywhere and smoke filled the air, burning my eyes. I had to squint to see. I made my way toward Papi's office, when my foot kicked something. I looked down. It was Pike. I knelt and shook him. No response. He had a bullet hole in his head. I began to cough. My time was running out. Blind faith in the luck I demanded guided me to Papi's office. Inside I saw Papi lying on the floor. I knelt beside him, blood pooling around my boots.

          He moved and coughed and began to speak. I leaned in to hear him. "No...time...inside job," he winced. "Find JJ...Raine." He grabbed my collar and pulled himself up. "Your sister...she's," he fell back. "Your sister."

          I sat with tears in my eyes and thought about giving into the smoke. Giving up, reaching for a sense of peace. A hand grabbed my shoulder and snapped me back to the chaos. "Come on, we need ta get outa here. He's gone. Everyone's gone. Let's go."

          I felt discombobulated but nodded my head and allowed Raine to lead me to the elevator and out of the warehouse. We coughed like a couple of heavy smokers. The warehouse lit up the night sky. My haven was destroyed.

          Raine. My sister? It all made sense. She looked familiar because I must have seen a hint of myself in her. I placed my hands on her shoulders. She stared into my eyes and her face grew stern. "So, ya knaw don't ya?"

          I continued to look at her. Her body was tense, and I could feel her discomfort. "My very own little sister...I'm assuming little?" I asked.

          She smiled. "That's what Papi told me. Haw much do ya knaw?"

          I let my hands fall from her shoulders and turned away. "Not much, but," I ran my hand over my chin. "I know I don't want one."

          She circled around me and made me look at her. "What do ya mean? Ya find out ya have a sister and then decide ya don't want her. Ya can't do that."

          I held her gaze. "I—I think I can." I grabbed her hand and locked both mine around it. "Look, you don't know me. I'm a soloist. Papi's the closet thing I had to a partner," I pointed at the warehouse. "And he's dead."

          Tears filled my eyes and I could see Raine's streaming down her face. "But, didn't he tell ya about our parents? We're all each other has."

          I let go of her hand. "No—I hardly know you. If I leave now, I'll be able to forget. I'll have no ties, and I'll become rich enough to buy happiness."

          This time she tried to grab my hand, but I wouldn't let her. "Na, you're wrong. Ya'll never be able ta forget."

          I looked her straight in the eye. "Watch me." The moonlight reflected in her eyes and made me hesitate, but I turned and walked away.

          She lunged and grabbed my shoulder. "This isn't what Papi woulda wanted. This isn't what our parents woulda wanted."

          I snapped around and slapped her across the face, not holding back anything this time. "Our parents are dead." I looked over toward the warehouse still setting out clouds of smoke. "And, so is Papi." I left Raine sobbing in the street and Papi burning in his grave.