- 09 -

- 09 - 

I had a habit of waking before Fred did, and that was no different on the morning of January first. As I gently traced the freckles on Fred's cheeks, I was content with how my year was starting. That was, of course, until the sound of the front door swinging open woke me from my half-asleep state.

"Fred," I whispered harshly, his eyes fluttering open in confusion. "There's someone outside." He sits up quickly before he relaxes, obviously knowing something I didn't.

"It's okay, George said he'd drop by this morning with a set of clothes for both of us, and then we'd have breakfast together." He explains, stretching his arms over his head. "I love you, by the way, Happy New Year." Ignoring the look on my face, he kisses my cheek gently.

"Freddie my love, that's all fine and dandy, except my t-shirt is still somewhere in the kitchen. While you and brother share eyes, I'd prefer they did share the same views." I deadpan, and he lets out a small 'oh' his eyes trailing down my body. I swat at his arm, pulling the sheets closer to my chest. "Put some pants on and go get my clothes would you." I laugh, already finding the humor in our situation. My cheeks blush as he shuffles out of bed, and I avert my eyes, feeling timid.

"Morning Georgie," He exclaims, the sound muffled once the door clicks shut behind him. He returns a second later, a bag in his hand. "There's a towel in there too if you want to shower." I nod slightly, look expectantly at him, waiting for him to turn around. He obliges, with a small chuckle. I duck into the bathroom, glad for the hot water that runs over my skin.

After a generous shower, I met the boys in the kitchen dressed in the clothes that George had packed for me. A pair of jeans, my Weasley sweater, and a coat for extra protection against the cold. With no other place to sit, they're both perched on the kitchen bench.

"Happy New Year Georgie darling," I smile, glancing around the room inconspicuously, hoping to find my shirt before he sees it, but it was nowhere to be seen.

"Happy New Year Ellie darling, enjoy the fireworks last night?" His question is innocent, and I'm grateful Fred hadn't immediately informed him of last night's events. I didn't mind him knowing, but I'd prefer it if I wasn't around when the topic was brought up.

"Uh yeah, they were cool," I answer awkwardly, while I vaguely remember the faint popping sounds of the fireworks, Fred and I had been too... preoccupied to actually watch them. "Fred said something about breakfast?" They both nod, sliding off the bench. Fred wraps his arm across my shoulders and I smile as he kisses the side of my head. We start to walk towards the front door, and I've come to accept the fact that my shirt is going to have to stay here until we move in over summer.