Chapter5 Considering an Arranged Marriage

“What's wrong?” Michelle asked me. “You seem... down. I mean, you're not eating your french fries.”

There was a collective exaggerated gasps all around the table. It was a Monday and I was in school or more specifically, in the cafeteria for lunch. I sighed and flicked a piece of french fries at Michelle. Naturally, my aim was way off but before it hit the floor, her hand shot out and caught it and stuffed it in her mouth.

“5-second rule,” she said, her eyes twinkling.

Michelle was pretty frugal, to the point you could call her cheap. But really, I couldn't blame her. Because one, her grandparents grew up in the Korean war and since her parents divorced, she lived with them and her dad. Her dad was always really busy with work though so ever since she was 5, she was raised by her grandparents. And because 2, I was kinda cheap though, just for not the same reason. I mean yeah, I was Korean and all but I just thought it was a big waste of money or whatever.

“Seriously though,” another friend of mine named Courtney said. “You always eat your fries, even if you're stressing out.”

“I just had a big breakfast,” I lied.

The truth was that I not eaten anything since Friday except even then, I don't remember eating dinner. I had absolutely no appetite. Hearing bad news like that will do that to you. My excuse seemed to be plausible enough since everyone went back to whatever they were doing. Except for one: Mark. He was studying me carefully. He was my childhood friend and we use to be neighbors until he moved to the other side of town. Still, he knew me well enough to know when I was lying.

In a feeble attempt to distract him, I asked him, “You want it?”

“Huh?” he asked, snapping out of his trance.

“My lunch. You were looking at me for like the past five minutes.”

One of Mark's friends, Edwin I think, piped up. “Well that's because he lo-” Mark stopped him by punching him in the arm.

“OI! Stop being such a girl,” he said with an air of teasingness. I thought I sensed a bit of anger too. That was the way with our bond, he could see through me and I could see through him

“Hey,” I said. “He's not a girl.”

“Why thank you Kayde-” he started to say but scowled after my next few words.

“I mean, if he was one, he'd be a disgrace to our gender.” All the guys within a 5 feet radius glared at me at me when I finished. “He's better off with you males. I mean, us females have a higher standard.” All the girls that heard this nodded and clapped when I was done.

“And that,” Mark said, “is why there will never be a female president.”

I threw my arms in the air. “What the hell does that have anything to do with this? First of all, the reason why there will never be a female president is because of people like you.”

“Ouch,” he said, wincing. But then his pained expression turned into a grin. “But really, do you seriously want to know why there will never be a female president?”

I shrugged. “Sure.”

“Because there will be a few select days that will repeat themselves every so often. And those days will be mark higher than any terrorist attack, any natural disaster, any riot, any-”

I interrupted. “Alright, I get the point. Now tell me what it is.”

His smile got wider, if that was even possible. Now, he looked liked that weird cat in Alice in Wonderland. You know, the one that turns invisible.