VIII. Land Ho

The seas had calmed by the next morning, as though the storm had never occurred, much to the delight of Mila. The only evidence of the storm was the disaster on the deck. The crew was clearing the deck. Mila noticed the green mist coming from the mops and cloths. Drinian was watching his crew closely and every so often, they would look up and glare at him.

"How much longer?"

"Where are we?"

Mila saw Caspian and Edmund walk from the study and walked up to them. "What is it, Drinian?" Caspian asked wearily.

"The storm has blown us off course."

Edmund thought a moment before speaking. "So keep heading east."

"And when we run out of rations?" Caspian questioned.

Edmund shot Mila an annoyed look, and she figured he'd rant to her later.

Drinian let out a sigh. "I don't like the looks we're getting. Something's got into the men."

One crew member made his presence known and asked, "What's going on?"

Caspian noticed the angry look in his eyes as more crew members began making their disdain known. "Where are we?"

"They got us lost."

"Look, just order them," Edmund told Caspian.

Mila saw Caspian's eyes flash. He was nervous and doubtful, something quite uncanny of a king. Though, she didn't blame him. They were certainly in uncertain times, on a dangerous quest.

Another crew member asked, "Your majesties, what some of our have been wanting to ask for some time now is how are we going to get home? We'd like to know what hopes we have of seeing Narnia again."

Caspian looked to Edmund and the younger boy glared at the king. "Gentlemen, I understand how you feel. But our mission is to continue east."

"No."

"How much longer?"

"We wanna go home. Turn us back."

"What's the matter with you all? This is just your fear talking," Rhince said.

"We demand you turn us back."

"Are you threatening mutiny?" Drinian asked angrily.

Mila spoke. "Gentlemen. I understand your fear. I feel the same. We have a duty we are sworn to fulfill. Your king is on a quest to save us all from the evil lurking about. I, alongside your king, will fight for my land and for my father. Lest you forget, Aslan has saved us countless times before. He has not failed us yet, and he will not fail us in this."

The men nodded, seeming to feel better about the quest they were pursuing. A man up in the crow's nest yelled, "Land ho!"

Everyone turned to see that there was indeed land looming closer to them upon the horizon.

"Well? Land ho!" Drinian repeated, motioning for his crew to get back to work. They did so, with one last glance of appreciation to the Merciful Queen.

Drinian walked closer to Caspian, Mila and Edmund. They had since made our way to the main deck. "And not a moment too soon," he stated, taking the wheel.

Caspian glanced to Mila and asked, "How did you do it?"

Edmund gave a small smile and said, "They don't call her Queen Mila the Merciful for nothing."

"I suppose not. Thank you. You lifted their spirits in a way I could not have."

Mila looked up at him. "Caspian, you're doing a wonderful job as Narnia's king. This mist is testing us all. We must be braver than our fear."

The group boarded a boat and Mila sat next to Lucy, opposite Caspian. Reepicheep caught their attention by yelling out from the second boat, "I doubt the lords stopped here, my liege. There's no sign of anything living."

"Right. Well, once we get ashore, take your men and search for food and water. The five of us will search for clues," Caspian shouted back.

"Hang on, you mean the six of us," Eustace piped up. Everyone turned to look at him. "Come on; please don't send me back to the rat." Lucy and Mila exchanged a quiet laugh.

"I heard that," Reepicheep said.

"Big ears," Eustace muttered with a roll of his eyes.

"I heard that too."

Everyone laughed quietly as Eustace huffed and looked down with a mix of slight shame and annoyance.