XI. The Isle of the Blue Star

The group trudged along on the island and reached the ancient stonebridge by nightfall. Mila noticed two large stone eagles on either side. Edmund took the lead, shining his torch for guidance. They walked slowly and cautiously looking for danger. Trees intertwined the entrance to the ruins. They came to a stone table filled with fresh food and candle sticks. The crew stared at the food with a hunger in their eyes.

Tavros reached for the food and mumbled, "Mmm. Food."

Drinian held his hand up. "Wait."

Mila followed Edmund, Lucy and Caspian to the opposite end of the table. In the shadows were three figures. Edmund used his torch to reveal three older men.

Lucy and Mila drew their daggers as they inched closer.

Caspian instantly recognised them by their rings. "Lord Revillian. Lord Mavramorn." Lucy pushed the hair away from the third one's face. "Lord Argoz."

Lord Argoz let out a soft breath and Lucy jumped back, feeling startled. She walked back towards the lord. "He's breathing." The group exchanged a confused look.

Edmund shined his torch upon the other two lords. "So are they."

"They're under a spell," Mila realised.

Caspian looked over to the food, guessing that was the reason. "It's the food!" Tavros immediately dropped his apple.

Mila slowly walked towards the three lords and touched the object in the middle. "Father. This is Aslan's Table."

"Their swords," Caspian stated. Edmund, Lucy and Mila each grabbed one of the swords and placed them on the table. Caspian, Lucy and Edmund each unsheathed the swords they had and placed them on the table.

"That's six," Edmund said in a disappointed tone.

"We're still missing one," Caspian informed.

Mila and Lucy noticed a blue star slowly coming towards them and cried, "Look!"

The rest of the crew turned to it as it reached the table. It hovered and then transformed into a young woman. She was wearing a white dress that showed her shoulders. Her platinum blonde hair hung just below her shoulders.

She said in a soft voice, "Travellers of Narnia, welcome." The crew bowed and she motioned for them to stand. "Arise."

"Are you not hungry?" she asked with a smile.

"Might I ask who you are?" Mila inquired.

She smiled at the Merciful Queen. "I'm Lilliandil, daughter of Ramandu. I am your guide."

The group moved closer to her. Edmund and Caspian were looking in awe at Lilliandil, which Mila found rather hilarious.

Lilliandil gestured to the table. "Please. The food is for you. There is enough for all who are welcome at Aslan's Table. Always. Help yourselves." She lifted her hands and the candles lit.

The crew immediately reached for the food and Caspian held his hand up. "Wait. What happened to them?"

Lilliandil glanced at the three lords. "These poor men were half mad by the time they reached our shores. They were threatening violence upon each other. Violence is forbidden at the table of Aslan. So they were sent to sleep."

"Will they ever wake?" Lucy wondered.

Lilliandil gave her a small smile. "When all is put right. Come. There is little time." She turned and the royals walked with her.

The royals followed her towards the edge of a cliff. Without turning, she said, "The magician, Coriakin, told you of Dark Island?"

Caspian and Edmund stood on one side, while Lucy and Mila stood on the other. "Yes," Caspian said.

"Before long, the evil will be unstoppable."

They stared at the island a moment, feeling fear. Caspian continued. "Coriakin said to break its spell, we lay the seven swords at Aslan's Table."

"He speaks the truth," Lilliandil answered grimly.

"But we only found six," Edmund stated. "Do you know where the seventh is?"

Lilliandil pointed towards Dark Island. "In there. You will need great courage."

The four royals exchanged a fearful look and Lilliandil continued. "Now, waste no time."

"I hope we meet again," Caspian told Lilliandil.

She turned to him and smiled. "Goodbye." She looked to the sky and transformed into a blue star and shot up into the sky. The four backed away slightly.

Mila sighed. "Well, I guess that's our next stop."

Caspian nodded. "Let us go face our fears."

They made their way back to Aslan's Table.

They gathered back onto the Dawn Treader, standing with Drinian and Tavros. "So what do you think is in there?" Tavros asked.

"Our worst nightmares," Mila stated, glancing at the island.

"Our darkest wishes," Caspian added.

"Pure evil," Drinian stated. "Tavros, unlock the armoury."

"My lord," Tavros replied.

"Archers, prepare yourselves," Drinian ordered.

"Aye, captain!" the archers cried.

"Light the lanterns," Tavros instructed.

Caspian turned to the others. "Let's get ready."

Lucy and Mila made their way to their cabin to get ready. They strapped their daggers, and Lucy strapped her cordial while Mila strapped her sword, around their waists.

Lucy glanced at Mila. "We will make it through this, right?"

Mila nodded. "I hope so. We've made it through difficulty before. Why should this be any different? Gael, are you all right?"

The smaller girl nodded as she looked between Lucy and Mila. "When I grow up, I want to be just like you two."

Lucy smiled at the younger girl. "When you grow up," she sat next to her and hugged her, "you should be just like you."

In another part of the ship, Caspian and Edmund were getting ready.

After a moment, Caspian spoke. "In case we don't get through whatever this is... I want you to know I think of you as my brother, Ed."

"Me, too," Edmund replied.

The two shared a nod and Caspian walked behind Edmund to help him with his armour before saying, "You gave up your sword." Caspian walked away.

"It wasn't mine to keep." Edmund fastened his belt.

Caspian picked up a sword and handed it to Edmund. "Use this."

"But it's..."

"Peter would want you to have it."

Edmund took the sword.

In Caspian's cabin, Lucy and Mila exchanged a look. Mila let out a sigh. "It's time."

They walked out to the main deck to prepare for the dangers ahead.