10

Twenty-three. Another year older, another trip around the sun. When he was younger birthday's used to feel so monumental, his age so very crucial to his identity. As he had grown older he had found that his age really was just a number and his birthday just a day much like the other three hundred and sixty four of the year. Perhaps a slightly more fun day, as it usually was accompanied by his friends and some kind of festivity. This year would be much the same, though he was perhaps more excited than normal to see his boys. Being away from them, even for only a few weeks really was weird for him and he missed their company.

He started his morning off joining Jules and Kaitie, the model, for a run. They were both athletic and at a few points he found himself struggling to keep up with them. He blamed it on the cigarettes he still hadn't been able to fully kick. He'd become quite fond of Jules. She was smart and unbelievably funny. He never left her company without a large grin on his face. There was something to be said for a relationship that was so natural, carefree, and easy. Katie was the darkhorse, she had an unsuspecting and demure quality about her that snuck up on him. He hadn't realized they shared so many similarities and as he bid them goodbye following their run he made a mental note to seek her out actively that week.

When he arrived back at the guest house it was nearly ten, Duke greeted him at the door and he spent a minute petting the little guy, thankful he was feeling better after a few days of the medicine the vet had given him, before standing and heading for the shower. He knew the day was set to be a long one. He had to film inviting the girls over for his birthday as well as the first portion of his party before the cameras would be cut, unless anything crazy like a fight happened, and he would be free to let his crew friends join in on the celebration.

He was just finishing drying off when he heard a knock at the front door. He wasn't sure who would be looking for him since he wasn't due to hair and makeup for an hour still but nonetheless he answered the door, surprised to find Jules, still in her workout clothes, though she still looked perfect, waiting for him on the other side along with a small camera crew.

Calum's throat dried as his brain processed the scene, he was half naked, on camera. Not that nudity had ever particularly bothered him, he'd had more of himself than he cared to admit shared with the internet but he had grown up since then and he was feeling a bit caught off guard as he finally directed his attention back to the girl stood in front of him.

"Hey, sorry to drop in on you like this but I wasn't sure if you'd have many free moments today." She said, a hint of hesitation in her voice.

" 's not a problem. Sorry I'm not dressed, I was just getting out of the shower."

"No worries. This won't take but a minute, can I come in?" She gave a soft smile and he took a half step back to allow her and the cameraman into the house.

She turned back to face him, pulling from behind her a small gold gift bag he hadn't realized she was holding up until now.

"Happy Birthday!" She said, excited eyes meeting his and a satisfied smirk covered her face.

"Aw, Jules. You didn't have to get me anything." He told her, genuinely touched, that she had bothered to get him a present.

"Sure I did. Go on, open it." She said excitedly and he gave a half chuckle as he sat the bag on the back of the couch and reached in. He dug around until he felt fabric and removed the article from the bag.

"It's proabalbly dumb but—" "Is this one of your jerseys?" He interrupted her, a wide smile on his face.

"It's one of the one's they sell at games, yeah." She told him. "I didn't think you'd wanna wear one of my actual jersey's. The girl fit and all."

"Oh, true." he said, holding it out in front of him so he could see her last name 'Mayben' spelled out across the back as he rolled his lower lip into his mouth. "Hold on, wait right here. Give me two minutes."

He disappeared back into the bedroom he was using and the sounds of drawers being opened and closed were heard until he came back into view a moment later with a proud grin on his face. "I knew I had one with me." He said approaching Jules, now dressed in a pair of gym shorts and a black shirt he had quite literally, thrown, on. "Think fast." He said, throwing the shirt in his hands at her. She caught it easily, unfolding the jersey until she laughed and met his eyes.

"Galaxy?" She said amused as she turned the jersey back around to him. "It's the only one I have with me." He shrugged. "I've got a jersey from every stadium we've toured. Only seems fair that if I have one of your jerseys you have one with my name on it as well. We can wear them when we finally settle that little debate of ours."

"You mean when I kick your ass?" She said confidently.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night, doll." He said warmly, amusement seen clearly in his eyes.

"I'll think about wearing this." She teased, and he reached forward, softly clasping his hand around her wrist.

"Hey—thanks—for this," he said, dropping his gaze back to the jersey clutched in his hand. "You didn't have to get me anything but I love it." His eyes rose until they were focused on her lips, his own bottom lip caught between his teeth before he fought off his nerves and leaned forward, his lips meeting hers hesitantly but gaining confidence as her own began to move against his.

He finally pulled away a few moments later, breathless and with his face flushed she whispered a goodbye, her hand raising to touch her lips like she was trying to convince herself that the kiss they had shared wasn't something she had made up in her mind before she offered a small wave and left out the front door.

It took a few minutes of being alone in the house again with only Duke as his companion before he was able to hear anything over his racing heart again. He had known from day one that of the girls on the show he was easily most compatible with Jules and the kiss they had just shared only served to emphasize that notion. There were still weeks left and he wasn't going to write anyone off yet but if the redhead had hoped to garner his attention with her gift, she'd certainly done just that.

The only thing stopping him from giving Jules his full attention were the confusing feelings he had developed for Teal. He knew she was off limits, she was part of the crew and not one of the girls he was supposed to be interested in and perhaps that was some of her appeal. He'd always been one to go against doing what he was told and he was still trying to distinguish if his interest in her was genuine or simply him wanting to rebel in a way he always seemed to.

He needed to make that distinction soon because one thing he was completely sure of was that no matter what happened he didn't want Teal getting hurt because of his inability to understand his own feelings. He didn't want her to get hurt at all.

An: Cal's bday part 1

What do we think of his moment with Jules?

What about the things he's thinking?

What's gonna happen at his bday party/groupdate?

Let me know!
Ily,
Sav 🖤