↬ | chapter five

005.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

     Days passed, and still, there was not a single word spoken about Clarke amongst the entire establishment. 

     Maggie and Jasper had taken more trips in hopes of seeing their close friend than they could possibly count. Any time that they could, they were asking to talk to her, see her through a tiny window— anything. But in return, all they received was monotone head shakes and the repetitive explanation the medical professionals had mastered: she needs to heal on her own.

     That was bullshit, as far as Magnolia was concerned.  

     However, the girl only went along with it— it only strengthened and backed up her original thought more; Clarke wasn't even there to begin with. However, she accompanied the Jordan boy every single time, for it made him feel more comfortable and at ease. If he was content, at least there was that.

     One morning though, the two of them woke up to notes at the foots of their beds. Dante wanted to meet, yet again. But this time, with the two of them together.

     Naturally, it wasn't a big mystery. When Jasper and Magnolia shuffled up to one another to inform the other with their notes in hand, it was self-exclamatory. Most likely, the president was informed on their prodding, and he wanted to do one of his famous check-ins. Lovely.

     Two guards joined them down the elevator, even though the brown-eyed girl insisted she knew her way. But, they told her it was safety precautions. Made sense, she supposed. 

     Just like usual, the device beeped in his office, alerting Dante that someone was in his presence. "Thank you two for coming," he set aside his paperwork at hand. "I've been told you visit medical three or four times a day asking about Clarke."

     An innocent smile was painted onto Gray's face. Simple, but enough to get the point across. It worked every other time, so she didn't even second guess if it would or not that go-around. "She's one of us. Obviously, you could understand why we're worried."

     "Yeah," Jasper traced his finger along one of the victorian-style chairs. "No one will let us see her."

     Wallace's fancy shoes plodded against the flooring as he made his way around the dark wood desk. "Well, that's because she's no longer here," he commented, and Magnolia's eyes widened. She pretended to act surprised, even if she fully wasn't. "Clarke ran away."

     Ran away was shitty terminology, Maggie couldn't help but think. Yeah, she ran away. If that's what you consider leaving a murderous mountain to muster up a plan to save her people.

     Then yeah, she ran away. He underestimated the act and deemed it as something it wasn't; what it was, was heroic. 

     As her eyes met Jasper's, she saw the tears lining at the bottom of his eyes. Comfortingly, she wrapped the teenager in a side-hug, but it didn't take the tears away. 

     "I tried to convince her she was safe here. But she couldn't stop looking for enemies when she was among friends," the president persisted, making the young boy in front of him shake his head, as if it would make what he said disappear.