03

"The answer should be obvious." Said one of the men from camp and we all knew he was talking about the way East, even with news articles coming out that West would be the best option. He went on, "Our lives depend on this decision and I'm not letting suspicious news sources sway me, sorry guys." It seems everyone in the group agreed with the man and my heart sunk because I knew that my choice was whatever the Mutohs chose. They were my family now. Go snagged my phone and ran, leaving me to stumble after him.  

"Go, what the hell are you doing?"

"Asking my Estonian gamer friend which way is the best option, he'll get back to me in a second."

I just nodded with a playful glare on my face. 

"He says West is the best option."

The Mutoh family seemed to agree ongoing West with Ayumu tugged my shirt, telling me to go with them as if I wasn't already. Nanami agreed too and I felt relieved that we weren't the only ones. She was on a quest to find her parents and West was the closest she could get going in that direction.

"Well, it's decided. Our group is going West and anyone is free to come with us." Mr. Mutoh yelled out to the rest of the group. We were met with uneasy faces at the decision in hand. When no one seemed to join us I couldn't hide my dejection. Koga was probably going to join them too and I had just started reconnecting with the boy.

"How about a final picture before the departure?", Mrs. Mutoh smiled at the group. After we all bunched together a snapshot was taken. I knew these pictures would be something to remember. 

"Say cheese!"

"Cheese,"

Our group had diminished considerably and I was expecting to see five faces of my friends but was met with six. Koga had decided to stick with our group and my stomach felt fluttery. Starting our journey was exhausting. Walking with squelching, wet shoes on what felt like the hottest day of the year wasn't my ideal Saturday but I couldn't find the energy to complain. I was up walking by Go took off his shoes and smiled brightly. It took a couple of seconds to register the hell that was sun-baked asphalt.

"IT BURNS." He cried out causing a fit of laughter to go around the group.

"Don't underestimate the heat of asphalt in summer kiddo,"

"And keep your shoes on, you might get hurt without them,"

We continued on our journey and were passed by a group of kids on scooters and skateboards. I longed to have a skateboard as it would make this walk so much more enjoyable. Beggars can't be choosers. Passing under a bridge Ayu and I noticed an elderly couple distraught by the recent events. Ayu grabbed the last water bottle from the bag and gave it to the couple.

As I went to go with her I felt a grip on the back of my shirt. Koga had kept me from going and instead pushed me forward. His behavior confused me but I shrugged it off. As Ayu rejoined the group she felt bad for giving the last bottle to the elderly but with a little bit of optimism, we convinced her that the next stop next made would have water to make up for it. I smiled up at her as reassurance and was met by a small blush and a smile back.

Reaching the rest stop we were met with nothing. Nothing left on the shelves, nothing left in the storage area, it had been completely looted. After leaving the store we all regrouped and tried to come up with a new plan. All of a sudden a big earthquake shook the ground and the cracks in the pavement widened slightly. I covered Go with my body as he crouched to the ground scared. As much as I loved everyone in the group Go just had a special place in my heart. I couldn't let what happened to my brother happen to him.

"We should head for the hills. Looks like this area could collapse at any second."

"And the shade is going to do us some good. Water should be there too," I exclaimed in satisfaction making my way towards the hills ahead. Koga always had such a quiet presence that I made sure to check up on him every so often. I was met with a hum or nod but that was enough for me.

"Water!" This discovery led me towards the voice and I raced towards the waterfall. The heat had been killing me all day causing me to sprint towards the site. I tripped on a rock and fell straight in, leaving me embarrassed and refreshed. The shirt I was wearing became see-through and I struggled to keep it covered up. Koga noticed my dilemma and handed me his jacket.

"You don't have to give it to me,"

"Just keep it till your shirt's dry" He muttered before turning away fast, a blush spreading on his face, to refill his water bottles. Next, we decided on a course of action which entailed a trip down a river. Go was pushed in as the rest of us took our turns jumping in. For the first time in a while, I felt like a normal teenager just hanging out with friends and family, not like a kid trying to survive.

Making it out of the water and back on our trail I laughed at the fact that I was still wearing Koga's jacket which was now soaked along with the rest of me. There was no point in giving me the jacket but I cherished the thought. At the top of the path we followed was a rural residential area. That trip down the waterfall made me forget the mass destruction Japan was facing. I had to keep looking up though. For everyone.

A/N Love you - Rach