A Way Out

As Kite carried the old man on his back we were tremendously slowed down. It would be a miracle if we made it to the ground before the statue gave out but I wasn't giving up. 

"Leave me behind, you two wont make it in time." Kite ignored this and kept walking with him on his back. 

"We're not leaving you!" I cried out, I didn't want to leave anyone. The man bit Kite's shoulder causing Kite to drop him out of instinct. Kite seemed to finally shed his relaxed facade and looked towards the man.

"What am I supposed to tell Go?"

"I'll tell him myself, this will be the last supper."

I cried hard as Kite led me down the stairs. I couldn't keep my eyes up and everything hurt. My heart, my legs, my will to keep going; everything. Reaching the final exit we boosted out of the window and were met with our group driving the group. I was pushed into the front seat on Kite and we drove away.

"Where's Gramps? Where is he?" I looked to Go and cried harder. I buried my head into Kite's shoulder and bawled. It seemed that this man had a worthy redemption arc. Suddenly men with guns aimed at the truck and were shooting at us. One by one the men went down from arrows. Turning around to see who was protecting us I was met with the silhouette of the old man, perched in the window of the statue. It was his parting gift to us.

As we reached the gates a loud boom was heard and the whole statue came crumbling down. Cracks in the ground began racing after the car but I wasn't scared anymore, just numb. Everyone was distraught and as I did a head count I noticed we were missing two people but gained one. We now had Mr. Onadera. He would be a valuable asset. Now who were we missing? Gramps and Daniel. Daniel!

"Guys we forgot about Daniel! We have to go back!"

"He wanted to stay so we let him, we couldn't convince him to join us. It was where he belonged." I nodded solemnly and laid my head against Kite's shoulder again. It had been a long day and crying had worn me out.

"Mom, where will we go now?"

"Wherever we go, it wont be the afterlife." I nodded and closed my eyes to take a nap. I needed it. 

I had woke up hours later to Go sleeping on my shoulder. Since all four of us had squeezed into the front seat I was in Kites lap. He didn't seem uncomfortable so I didn't want to move. Go had woken up soon after me and looked around at our solemn faces. It felt like the beginning of the end.

The radio stated that a lottery would be held and those with their social security numbers ending in these specific number would be allowed to board. Too bad I didn't remember my numbers. I had no shot anyways. They continued to list of the numbers and where we could board. It was our last shot at escaping. Thousands of people stood, checking to see if they could make it on the ship, one that didn't even look that big. We just knew we needed to see if at least one of us could leave.

"I wondered if any of us were chosen."

"Who knows." 

Kite jumped out of the truck and held his hand out for me to take. We all crowded around Mr. Onadera as it seemed he had something to say. After typing into Kite's phone it read 'DANGER AROUND MT. FUJI'

"There's no way it could happen so soon right?" I nodded at Go even though I had no clue. Anything could happen at this point. We just needed to get out of here.

"Well kids, let's go see if any of us were chosen." Everyone followed Mrs. Mutoh as we all followed. The boys stayed with Mr. Onadera while I went with the Mutoh family and waited in line. Looking around I hoped to find some familiar faces. Maybe my mother would be here waiting for my arrival. Instead I saw the face of Ayumu and my track coach from school.

"Coach Kazama!" I yelled as Ayumu and I began running towards her. She ran to the barrier separating us and gave us a big hug. It was so nice to see a familiar face.

"You're both doing okay?"

"Yes. You're looking well too, Coach!" Ayumu smiled and I nodded in agreement. She introduced us to her family and we were greeted by the man saying how much he had heard about us from his wife. It was a nice reunion in my opinion.

"She told me how you guys were her star high school students."

"Hurry over and register so you can get on the boat."

"We don't know if we were chosen." I confess, the line was still so long and the boat would be leaving before we even checked.

"You girls are in a special category. The government picked out young people who have promising futures and is letting them evacuate ahead of others who may have won the lottery. Both of you were chosen."

The rest of the Mutoh family joined us after hearing this. It had to have been luck, or maybe another force at work. There was no way I was a priority pick. I could escape; survive. Everything seemed to be working out.

"Way to go girls, that's fantastic." Mrs. Mutoh exclaimed as Go cheered us on. The man called for the last few to get on board as they didn't have much space left. I was so excited at the beginning but now I couldn't help but second guess myself. Should I take this opportunity at safety and a new life or stay with those I love? It seemed Mrs. Mutoh really wanted us to have a second chance but did I?

"I don't want to leave you guys."

"Don't miss your chance Ayumu. You two have to go, for us." Mrs. Mutoh came around our backs and took a picture of the three of us before handing it to Ayumu. As we got ready to board we gave our identification to the officers working and got accepted to board with a wrist band. As we walked towards the ship Ayumu collapsed.

"You okay?" I asked and she nodded, brushing me off. Hopefully it was nothing serious. I'd ask her about it later. We got on the ship like getting through airplane security with a TSA pre-check. Walking past all of the people, just like me waiting. If I really did board this ship I'd leave behind not only the Mutohs but Koga, Mr. Onadera, and Kite. Did I really want to leave Kite?

As everyone waved us goodbye I looked at Ayumu questioningly, she seemed to have an idea. She ran off as fast as possible and I followed not knowing what causes the second thought. She handed her yellow band to a mother and child and without a second thought I handed mine off too. Ayumu had made the decision for me. I couldn't go to a foreign country by myself, I'd rather die with people I love.