Mother the Medium

Now that it was morning I could see the area much better. A huge statue stood at the top of the hill. Something I hadn't noticed before. It had signs of kintsugi as the cracks in the statue had been filled with golden glue or paste.

As I was sitting outside of Kite and my hut I was greeted by Go. He seemed to be in a good mood. Who wouldn't right now? He ran over to my side and sat down, stretching his arms towards the sky.

"Good morning Y/N!" I smiled and hugged him. 

"How are you feeling Go?"

"Excited, there might be kids my age here. It'd be nice to finally have new friends."

I smiled at his enthusiasm and we sat watching the sun rise. I didn't even think about how Go was dealing with this. His whole life has changed and it all happened so quick. He's seen people die, he saw how his family lost almost everything, he's been through a lot but he's so optimistic. This is something we'll never forget about. Something to share when we get out of this crumbling nation. 

"Hey, Y/N the rest of the group is over there, lets join them."

He ran over and I followed slowly. I was just happy to be in their company. Daniel made his way over to our group and began messing around with magic tricks.

"Hey, hey, hey, everybody. Is everyone feeling wide awake?"

Mrs. Mutoh seemed thrilled to see him and I could sense some love between the two. I knew if Ayumu caught on she would be upset but I hoped it wouldn't come to that.

"Good morning, and I wouldn't say wide awake,"

"Well Daniel had a restful night of sleep thanks to you." Go agreed and started to imitate Daniel. This felt normal; calm. 

"Mother's ritual is starting soon," Daniel pointed at the statue I saw in the morning. From where I was standing I could see a group of people all gathered around it doing some sort of meditation. He began explaining how Shan City was a place for everyone and that it was a place where you could be accepted.

"I'm here so I can entertain everyone, that's my reason for coming here." I couldn't help but still feel culty vibes from this place. It was so perfect in my mind.

A lady walked up to Daniel and invited him to join the group in front of the statue. Before Daniel joined the group I had a question to ask, something that had been itching my mind.

"Is this a religious group?"

"Not at all kid, it's a community of people who were all brought together by Mother's abilities."

I nodded and pretended to understand what he was talking about. Soon after Daniel finished talking a lady walked out from the statue in white robes. As she approached two people they both began kneeling, their sobs could be heard from where I was standing. She had to of been Mother just by the way she was regarded.

"We will now begin the meeting with the deceased." The man announced before

"Mother can speak to the dead." Everyone looked shocked. There was no way she could do that. If she could would that mean she could talk to my brother? Would he have anything to say to me anyway? I looked at Kite skeptical and he looked back at me the same way.

"Mother has an ability, it is called being a 'medium'" He began explaining what a medium is but I was too caught up on the fact that she could talk to my brother, and possibly the rest of my family.

"Drive up to the building kid." The old man ordered Go, who was on the scooter with him. Go began to drive and I laughed to myself. Watching them zoom up to the temple just looked silly. No one was stopping them either but instead just watching politely. I cracked a smile and ran towards them up to the building, our group following behind. 

Walking through the statue was like a large museum full of vases and pots broken and then glued back together with gold paste. The art was really beautiful. As we arrived at the ceremony the man let us into the area a strong odor choked me out.

"Ah it smells," complained Ayumu as the stench grew stronger.

"It's the weed." Kite seemed to know his stuff when it came to Pot, not even flinching when the smell became stronger. It was a little telling of him. 

Next to Mother sat a child who looked around Go's age. He was described as the symbol of Shan City. He was the one who connected the dead to the living.

"His tenth anniversary festival is coming soon so we must celebrate."

I watched as Mother took the item from the lady chosen at the beginning. It was a coin purse, the dead's. Mother took a gasp before taking on a whole new personality.

"Yoshie my dear, thank you for trying to save me when I was washed away by the tsunami. The bank pin number is in the vault. Live a long life for me."

It threw me off because instead of being vague like other mediums she was eerily accurate according to the girls account. Something else must be going on here. Was it truly supernatural though? The second guys reading was somewhat similar to what Ayumu and I did. He heard his father calling out from the rubble but out of fear he left his father to suffer under the weight of the house. I looked towards Ayumu who looked to be brought to tears. I understood her feelings as it was my fault too. I left the girls without a second thought when I'm sure they were down there. Calling for help; calling for anyone.

We all left the ceremony after that and took a break on the porch. Everyone seemed to need a breather, especially Ayu and I. I stood off away from everyone, needing some time to clear my head. Questions and thoughts rushed through my head a mile minute. It was like I had the world on my shoulders. My breathing hitched and I couldn't stop shaking. It was my fault my brother died, it was my fault I didn't go and save my teammates. All my actions so far have been selfish. I bet they're looking down on me betrayed, hurt by my actions. I was cut from my thoughts by Koga who had placed a hand on my shoulder, grounding me.

"Breathe with me," I did so embarrassingly. I hated when people caught me in this state, all worked up and overthinking but it seemed to help having him by my side. I slowed my breathing down and he looked at me, silently asking if I was okay. I nodded and walked back to the group with him, Koga not leaving my side.

"I wanna talk to Dad, I'm sure she could talk for him." Go was excited at the prospect of talking to his dad again. 

"No, absolutely not. I'm sure she's not doing it with just anyone anyways." Ayumu shut down the idea quick. I understood her reasoning. I don't know if hearing from the dead would be good for us. Any of us.

"Hey look, is that the Philippines?" Daniel noticed the tension like I did and changed the subject. Him and Mrs. Mutoh seemed to be getting a long quite well, always responding to his jokes with humor. Even when they weren't funny It felt like a fresh start for her in my eyes. Ayumu noticed too but her feelings were more complicated.

"Lets take a picture everyone!" 

These pictures always felt like family photos so I stood and smiled as we took a picture of all eight of us. I hoped I would live long enough to look at them again.

"Cheese."

A/N Just plot progression and over explaining this chapter sorry. Next chapter should have the party so more Koga and Kite scenes coming up.