Romantic Fall ~ Chapter 5 ~ September Pumpkin

"Hey... Zuku... where are we going?" Shinsou asked, sticking his hands in his pocket as he looked around. He hadn't been this far from the city before, and while he did enjoy the nice, breezy wind and the lack of noisy, annoying people, he didn't like not knowing where he was.

"Trust me. We'll be there soon. Don't worry too much about it." Midoriya replied, his eyes glued on the map application on his phone.

After walking for a while, Midoriya and Shinsou came across a small field, with various pumpkins growing within. Midoriya grinned excitedly, tugging on Shinsou's arm, "Come on, we're here!"

Dragging the taller boy behind him, Midoriya slowly pushed the gate to the field open, and walked towards the small stall located near the entrance. The woman at the stall peered over, before noticing Midoriya and Shinsou, and she waved them over.

"Midoriya Izuku, I presume?"

"Yes!" Midoriya nodded, and the woman nodded, before handing them a small basket, "Have fun. There is plenty of carving supplies here, so just pick out whichever pumpkin you want."

"Alright! Thank you!" Midoriya nodded, gently taking the basket.

"I'll just need you to fill in a form before you start. Just some general stuff about safety and whatnot." The woman handed Midoriya a piece of paper and a pen, and the greenette immediately started reading through the form.

The lady picked up a small carving knife, and glared in Shinsou's direction, mouthing "You better take good care of him".

Noticing the glint of the carving knife, Shinsou shuddered, and hastily nodded, just as Midoriya signed off the form and handed it back to the lady.

"Thank you!" Midoriya smiled brightly, before he grabbed onto Shinsou's arm and dragged him further into the field, where they had a clear view of all the available pumpkins.

"So uh... you know her?" Shinsou managed to ask.

"Yeah!" Midoriya nodded, "She's a friend of my mom! My mom and I used to come here every year, but she said that I should bring a friend along this time, since she's busy and can't come anyways! Plus... there was once we got a pumpkin and I tripped at the stall and nearly stabbed myself with a carving knife..."

Shinsou blinked as Midoriay continued rambling away.

No wonder that lady was so insistent of him taking care of Midoriya. He's met Midoriya Inko before, and while she's as gentle and as much as a crier as her son, she was one of the few people that Shinsou didn't want to anger; she was just as menacing and brutal as her son when she was mad, especially if her precious, formerly quirkless son was injured.

He did not want to get on her bad side.

"... and then, there was that tree root that I didn't noticed, and there was more people and a lot more crowded... I think it's because there are more villain attacks now... so she really doesn't like the idea of me coming here on my own, even though I managed to get into the hero course and I have a quirk right now, and it's not like a stab is that big of a deal... well, when I was younger, I guess it was kind of a big deal, but I'm older now and we have to deal with villains and all sorts of other things, so I don't think it is too bad..."

Shinsou just grabbed the basket from Midoriya," We came here for pumpkins, not for you to babble. Come one, we do have a curfew, you know? I have no intention of getting grounded by Aizawa-sensei just because we got back to the dorms late, of all things."

-----------------------

"We were so lucky to have found this!" Midoriya's eyes glinted, as he smiled up at Shinsou, the both of them sharing the weight of the pumpkin that they had placed in the basket, "We can have so much fun!"

"What are we going to do with the pulp of the pumpkin, though?" Shinsou asked, peering down at the large orange fruit, "I think we need to scoop out the seeds and pulp and the other insides before we can start carving."

"Yeah, we'll do that, then we can feed the birds and other animals with them." Midoriya replied, and Shinsou nodded.

It didn't take them too long to haul the pumpkin back to the stall, and with a knife the lady provided, Midoriya swiftly cut a hole around the stem of the pumpkin at a slight angle, before they started to scoop out the stringy insides of the orange fruit.

"So... do you want to draw on a design... or we'll just cut it up and go along with whatever it turns out to be?" Midoriya asked.

"Just slice it up randomly and see where that brings us." Shinsou snickered, his eyes glinting, "We'll make such a huge monstrosity of a pumpkin, we won't even know what hit us."

Midoriya gazed at the slightly crazed, excited expression on Shinsou's face, his face turning slightly red as he raised his eyebrows, "Are you sleep deprived? Did you get enough coffee today?"

"I thought you were the one complaining that I drank too much coffee." The lavender haired boy quirked his eyebrow in confusion, but Midoriya just turned away, "I don't know..."

"You okay?" Shinsou peered down at Midoriya, and the greenette puffed out his cheeks, before he whirled around, "That was kind of hot, okay?"

"... what?" Shinsou blinked, not understanding waht the shorter boy was trying to say, but Midoriya just balled up his fists and pouted, "You know? When you're excited about something, and your eyes just glint and you have this super cute smile that makes you seem a bit not right in the head, but anyone can tell that you're super into whatever you want to do and that just makes it all the more cuter, and -"

Midoriya paused to catch his break, and Shinsou gently patted Midoriya on the back.

"Calm down a bit." Shinsou moved his hand so that he was scratching Midoriya on the head, "Slow down. We have the time. No need to talk until you run out of breath."

"I know, I know..." Midoriya let out a small smile, "But it's nice to know that you can let our your true feelings and emotions while you are around me."

Shinsou felt his face turn red, and he hastily grabbed the carving knife, using his arm in an attempt to cover his face, "Talk to the pumpkin, not me."

Letting out a peal of laughter, Midoriya grinned, "Alright!"